Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
OP Offline
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Well....this week in episode three, Boyd and the boys continue to butcher up this once extremely nice 1959 two-door Bel Air (they are still calling it an Impala after all these weeks). Mike the Machine Shop Dude refuses to work on the car so it looks like he is going to be fired on the next episode. And, Coddington finds out the Mike has been working on the side for his enemy Chip Foose as well! Charlie the painter dude quit Coddington several months back and he has also been working for Foose ever since.

Last night the viewers got to see the numerous pounds of "Bondo" that was spread all over the remains of the body to get the panels "straight". Also, the rear portion of the frame that goes over the real axle had to be cut out and thrown away (so what else is new?). A new frame section was manufactured because the tires that Coddington chose would not fit into the rear wheel well openings. One dude suggested that they just use a different tire, but Boyd wouldn't go for it. DUH!

wink laugh laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Aw schucks!! I missed it again. I tried to stay awake til one am to see the 're-run' but that didn't work either. I'm sure I'm not missing much. I haven't seen an 'episode' for 2-3 months and I'm just curious to see how 'bad' it really is.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
It's bad! I think Boyd is trying to outdo Hitler.

1939 Chevy 1 1/2 ton dually rear wheel pickup
1940 Chevy 1 1/2 ton single rear wheel pickup
1946 Chevy 2 ton cab and chassis
1977 Chevy 3/4 ton camper special 4x4
Obsessed 16yr old Chevy truck nut
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Also I thought al the chassie guy quit he was back on the show last night

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
OP Offline
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Yes, Al the chassis dude did quit a few months back, but Boyd needed that stock frame butchered and the only one that could do it correctly was Al so Boyd begged him to come back to do the job. :( :( :(

The Mangy Old Mutt

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
The thing I hate most about Boyd Coddington is his huge ego. He thinks that he is god himself and can do whatever he wants. He thinks his cars are the greatest things since sliced bread, but obviously are not. I think that he inhaled too many lead paint fumes when he was a kid!

1939 Chevy 1 1/2 ton dually rear wheel pickup
1940 Chevy 1 1/2 ton single rear wheel pickup
1946 Chevy 2 ton cab and chassis
1977 Chevy 3/4 ton camper special 4x4
Obsessed 16yr old Chevy truck nut
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Is this what we used to call "too big for his britches" ????

Funny how 'success' can go to somebody's head!?!?!?

Too bad.....

Bill.

xxx Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Mike the computer guy who has been with BC for 10 years is gone...BC is going to fire him for....now get this....working for someone else on Mike's FREE time.

Who in heck does BC think he is to tell his workers who they can and can't work for on their own personal time??????????????

If BC does fire him for working for Foose on his own free time I hope Mike takes it to a lawyer...I'm sure there must be a law against doing this on the left coast.

BC is out of control...opps must be a pun since all BC wants is total control of everyone 24/7.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Maybe BC saw it as a 'security issue' or some kind of 'non-compete' type of situation.

Or maybe paranoia simply reared it's ugly head in BC's head???

Who knows.....

Seems pretty 'chicken' to say the least.

But again, I think most of these 'situations' are all 'ratings driven.' Just keeping things all stirred up to keep our 'attention' --- to keep us watching!!!

Bill.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
OP Offline
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
The one thing that you have to remember is that Boyd Coddington and Chip Foose used to be partners in business and great friends. Now that Chip Foose has his own business and is looked upon as a world renown car designer, he has become Boyd Coddington's enemy and they apparently have not been friends for years. Therefore, when one of his employees (in this case two) work for Chip Foose.....his bitter enemy.......then Boyd Coddington becomes unglued! He absolutely hates the competition! However, there is no competition....Chip Foose is light years better at car designing and at being a professional than Boyd Coddington. wink laugh laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

xxx Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I do think BC named the car correctly, "Ghetto Queen"...that is the only place it should be.

Have any of you guys watched "Automantic" hosted by Goldberg?

The last one I watched was so ironic I was dumfounded...here was a group of hot rodders who were 'restoring' 'classic' street rods back to what they were in the past. This group wanted the vehicles to be 'original' in all details.

So here is a group that destroys original vehicles wanting to restore non-original rods back to original rods...a very weird concept; they want originals when they destory originals.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
That sounds like the kid who wanted what he didn't have just because it was different from what he had. Give a poop as to what 'it' is. He just wanted it.

Apparently some of those 'stupid' kids have enough birthdys and they become 'adults' - but they don't change. They still want what they don't have just cuz it's 'different.'

How freaking dumb is that???

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Just look at it this way. For those of you with good original '59 Bel Airs, your ride just became a little more valuable as there's one less on the road now. Speaking of Rides, I like Leno's recent find of the garaged Duesenberg and his choice to just dust it off and drive it without going overboard on restoration.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
RustyFender,

I love your car and ragtime music!

JOHN GILL
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
OP Offline
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Ya, that was a great find by Jay Leno. By the way, since I missed part of the show, what was that vintage convertible coupe that was parked in the garage next to the 1927 Duesenberg Model X? Did they mention what it was on the show and did Leno get that one too? :confused: :confused: laugh laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

xxx Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
JYD, No they didn't and Jay only got the Duey. More on the other coddington string...

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
OP Offline
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Okay, I will check it out over there......! wink laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

xxx Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Tonight is the night...the Ghetto Princess (not queen) will be done (stick a fork in it)...

Wonder what he will destroy next? Maybe he can find the last remaining car of some make and chop it up for fun.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
OP Offline
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
And......will "Machine Shop Mike" still be on the show this week or will he be down the road like "Blue Bear"? :confused: :confused: :( :( :(

The Mangy Old Mutt

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
OP Offline
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Episode three (the final episode) just now aired and "Machine Shop Mike" was fired. Boyd and the crew try to get the Bel Air (they still call it an Impala) and the matching motorcycle done by Boyd's deadline.

The motorcycle fabrication falls way behind and Boyd Coddington finally admits that he was stupid to set the deadline with these two builds. DUH!

Duane, the shop forman, goes crazy and throws tools, parts and etc. all over the shop. One of the workers says that Duane is out of control and that he is an idiot. Another DUH!

The "Ghetto" blaster convertible and motorcycle do finally meet the deadline for the unveiling at Camp Pendleton. Painted a bright lime green with a tan interior, the once all original and mint '59 "Impala" (it is still a Bel Air Boyd!) emerges as a low rider convertible, and it is, in my opinion, one of the ugliest cars that I have ever seen....bar none! I like all cars, but this low rider "Ghettomobile" is totally ugly. And, the matching motorcycle runs in second place (again my opinion) as far as "ugly" goes. It looks like a lime green ant eater!

If Boyd and the crew wanted to know how to build a motorcycle (this is their first build by the way) then they should have called the dudes at American Chopper!

Well guys, another mint original vintage Chevrolet bites the dust and is turned into a "who knows what" by Coddington. Be sure to tune in next week to see what he does next!

Oh man....do we really want to know? :eek: mad mad mad

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
dance dance I agree that both the car and bike were UGLY!!! Also, I would hate to ride that bike any further than the end of my driveway. It looked like they used part of the rim from an old wagon wheel to make the handlebars. I think it would be extremely difficult to turn with them being so wide at the grip. And that green - I had to clean something up from my dog the other day that was about that color!!! Stuart

Chat Region Member
2017 GMC Canyon
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
OP Offline
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
wink bigl bigl bigl bigl bigl

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I finally saw those two pieces of lime poop. I had to stay up til 2am to watch the re-run.

The Bel Air was reminescent of the 61-63 T-Bird "Roadster."

I didn't like the bike or the car. The bike is just plain stupid. Hard to envision even riding it!!

It was great to see the guys at Camp Pendleton got a kick out of the whole deal. That was by far the best part of the whole deal.

Bill.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
OP Offline
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Ya, the dudes at Camp Pendleton really seemed to like the car and the bike. But.....I wonder what they would have really thought of the car if they could have seen the mint '59 before Coddington destroyed it? :confused: :confused: :confused:

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Good question, Skippy.

I tend to think in their general age group and in their 'position' they'd probably 'vote' for the Coddington version.

Who really knows.....

Bill.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.