Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#77103 05/08/05 01:08 PM
Denny O Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have been fixing old car radios for the past two years as a hobby and for friends. I am wondering if there is a book or manual that lists or presents model numbers or has pictures of Chevrolet Radios for different years. I have been mostly working on the 40s, 50s, and 60s radios. Whenever I go the a swap meet I have to ask what year is that radio. I usually get a wrong answer. I would like to be a little better informed. Does anyone have any hints or clues that could help me?
Regards,
Denny Oestreich.
OestreichD@AOL.com

Denny Oestreich
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

#77104 05/08/05 03:53 PM
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Hi Denny O,

From 1980 through 1985, a very knowledgeable VCCA member wrote a series of articles for the G & D focusing on one Chevrolet radio each article. I have seen several vendors that have copied all those articles, put them in a binder, and refer to them at swap meets. These article included at least 4 photographs of the featured radio. This is perhaps the best reference on Chevrolet radios because of the pictures.

Another source is the Sam’s manuals from #1 through #20. These manuals have all the schematics from approximately 1950 through 1970 and later. In some cases they show an outline picture of the radios for identification. They are all identified by Model #.

In 1947 Chevrolet released a manual called: MERCHANDISING AND MAINTENANCE OF GENUINE CHEVROLET RADIOS. This manual was a loose-leaf format and contained schematics and detailed information about every car radio from 1932 through the date of the manual. Along with this manual, which went to each Chevrolet Dealer, were three pieces of test equipment, a signal generator, tube tester and multimeter. It also included a RADIO SERVICE SIGN, a vibrator tester and power supply. The manual is readily available as are the test instruments. In fact I know a fellow who has several of each.

Another source of information is the accessory list for each year. These lists show a picture and identify the radios that are applicable for that year. In some cases there are as many as 7 radios available for one year.

Dealers Albums also contain pictures and model numbers of the radios available along with pictures for identification.

So, Danny O, there are many sources to answer your questions.

Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.