Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#76703 07/20/03 08:32 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I have a radio, which was removed from a '68 Chevy pickup. It is an AM/FM Mono, that changes from the AM dial to the FM dial when the righthand outer dial is turned. No one at Chevy Duty or Jim Carter's has ever even heard of one. Any knowledge to be had here? I believe this was the original radio. Any help and estimated value would be appreciated. BTW, it works well! :confused:

Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I do remember seeing some earlier AM-FM radios with that feature but don't believe they were GM.---The Genuine chevrolet Delco radio has GM on the front bezel I believe.Or some other logo indicating its GM.

Gene Schneider
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
The only original equipment radio available for the 1968 truck was a PB (push button) AM only, radio Model, 7305841.

Any possibility of getting the model number from your radio for identification?

Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
It may have been a "Dealer" option rather than a factory option, but if the original production sheet is still up under the dash- that would tell if it was original to the truck from the factory.

It should have GM part number (7 digit code), but Allied Radio, Knight, and Lafayette sold radios that would fit the factory radio openings like a factory radio too.

If there is other information on the radio itself, such as "Stromberg Carlson", "Automatic", etc, this will help identify it too.

Sometimes an application may have been ink stamped on it somewhere also.

It does sound correct for the era. auto auto auto auto

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
The 1st AM/FM Truck Radio was in 1972, I had a 1972 Cheyenne Super that I ordered out new with a Factory installed AM/FM mono radio, this radio was also available as a dealer installed accessory Part number 994222 (note all of the accessory radios of that period had a 6 digit part number not 7). Of course this radio would retrofit back to 1967 and looked like it was born in any truck from 1967-72 that had one installed in it. These radios had a horizontal slide bar that allowed you to shift from AM to FM. In later years a lot of AM/FM radios were transplanted from many years of Chevrolet "G" vans because they fit and looked original in the 1967-1972 truck dash.

wdoftexas
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
My library of radio reference material is complete through 1970. My focused energy is from 1932-60. After 1960 Chevrolet radios became more complicated and made heavy use of the new discovery "the transistor".

I think the confusion in the last few posts is in semantics. A Chevrolet part number encompassed all the components necessary for a functioning radio, that is, the base radio, antenna, speaker, suppression devices and hardware. Part numbers of the period were generally 6 digits. On the other hand the base radio had a Model number . By 1963 number combinations of 6 digits were used up and Model numbers now were commonly 7 digits.

Does that cloud the situation sufficiently?

Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
SOITANLY!

Semantics Shcmantics

Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk.

With all of that said,

The true pedigree of the radio can be discerend if a model ID (gotcha there) such as if the radio were made by Stromberg Carlson, Zenith, or Automatic. They would ink stamp it with 2 digits (the year of production/use) normally, and a few tantalizing letters. These manufacturers stamped their own identifications onto a paper tag, or into the case itself in addition to anything GM/Chev might have done.

Following the trail of the model number will work- if it is still on the radio (I have seen quite a few with what was left of a paper tag, and all you could tell was that the information you wanted was on the piece of tag that you did not have.

But there is always too that chance that a dealer took it upon themself to buy radios that they got a deal on somewhere, in order to get slow moving vehicles off the lot (been known to happen).

Now that we know all the permutations and have semantics in order, I think we scared off the orignial poster.

Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk!

NYUK!

flush flush flush flush flush flush flush flush

(Precision Happy Face Flushing Team performing synchronized flushing and brossing)

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Fellows,
Sorry for the lack of response to your help. I've just been absorbing your info and suggestions. Unfortunately, I don't have immediate access to the radio for a while, so can't impliment your suggestions on ID'ing it. I've been filing your comments so that when I do find some numbers or mfr's name, I'll be able to put it to good use. I'll let you know what I do finally find out. Thanks again,
Steve chevy

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.