Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
RalphL Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Where can I fine judging standards. As a newbie, I've never been judged and would like to see if my 39 even measures up. I'm not so concerned about trying to obtain a "points-perfect" car, but I figure it'll help me with keeping it authentic and correct.

What's the position on seat belts. I drive my car a lot and want to be somewhat safe. Will seat belts, even hidden during a meet, be a negative factor?

Thanks!

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Seat Belts are a safty feature and no points are deducted for them.On later years where belts were available the correct belt for that year must be used.

At the present time there are no "judging standards" available for a particular year.And if there were I could never imagine them covering every item.Building a library of literarure of your own will supply the most info...also you then will have documentation as to what is correct - should you ever need it for proof when having your car judged etc.An advantage today is that there is so much literature available in reprints and on ebay.

Gene Schneider
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
And....when documentation is used for proof during the judging process, and it is disregarded by a judge whose "opinion" overrides the documentation....what then? :confused: :confused: :confused:

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Thats just the chance you take when having a car judged.Points can be taken off for correct things and not taken off for incorrect.So much depends on the knowledge of the judges (or lack of it).Also its the team captain that is usually responsible.The other problem is that you will not know what has been deducted untill weeks later when you recieve the judging sheets in the mail.There is a good amount of human error involved also.I am not complaining about VCCA or any other judging--its just the way it is.Unless you have strived for a "perfect" 1000 point car you just can't let it upset you.

Gene Schneider
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
What you said is so true! Also, documentation can greatly help to inform and educate, and the "opinions" from the judge or judges should not even enter into the equation when documented proof is available and presented. laugh laugh laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
YOU POINTED OUT DOCUMENTATION IS A GREAT HELP WHEN IT COMES TO JUDGING BUT WHAT IN THE CASE OF NO DOCUMENTATION (IE MY HOMEMADE SPEEDSTER) IT CONTAINS VARIOUS MID-TO LATE 20S PARTS.
NOT REALLY CARING FOR THE JUDGING ASPECT OF THE SHOWS HOW WILL MY CAR BE VEIWED AT A V.C.C.A. EVENT AS I PLANNED TO GO TO THE CENTRAL MEET IN MICHIGAN IN JULY
(THIS IS ONLY A GENERAL COMMENT)

38653 AKA DAVE

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
YOU POINTED OUT DOCUMENTATION IS A GREAT HELP WHEN IT COMES TO JUDGING BUT WHAT IN THE CASE OF NO DOCUMENTATION (IE MY HOMEMADE SPEEDSTER) IT CONTAINS VARIOUS MID-TO LATE 20S PARTS.
NOT REALLY CARING FOR THE JUDGING ASPECT OF THE SHOWS HOW WILL MY CAR BE VEIWED AT A V.C.C.A. EVENT AS I PLANNED TO GO TO THE CENTRAL MEET IN MICHIGAN IN JULY
(THIS IS ONLY A GENERAL COMMENT)

38653 AKA DAVE

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Ralph,I could send you a copy of one of my older judging sheets .That would give you and idea of what is listed.

Don't want to stir up another hornets nest here about judging.There is no one person that could go out on the judging field,try to judge all the years and styles of Chevrolet correctly _ and do it without a library of books in his back pocket.

Even here at this VCCA site, and with all the "experts" things come up that are almost impossible to answer.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
This dialogue has some good questions and concerns that we have had in the judging ranks. Skip brings up a good point about "opinion." I mentioned this is my Judge's Gazette last month in the G and D. There are some members who have been members a long time or have been a very active member and they are well respected among our peers. They might have quite a bit of knowledge on certain things but we must all accept the fact that we don't know everything there is to know. I enjoy learning things from other members and sharing what we learn. I think sometimes members put pressure on themselves and when they are put to the task, they put down the deduction instead of asking someone else if they are in doubt. If there is a doubt, ask. That's what we are in a club for. It's OK not to know everything. That is why we ask owners to have the documentation. This happened to me a couple of years ago. I made the same mistake. It was an overflow tank from a radiator. The hose goes all the way up near the top of the radiator on a '51. It looked wrong to me and being the judging chair, I didn't want to ask, but I really did not know. I should have asked. I learned a lesson that day. Now I ask. There are usually enough members or docuements to get the answer. If you still don't know, the benefit goes to the owner. That is the only fair and consistent thing to do.

Also it is important to make sure you use the abbreviations on the form and to place a short comment for the deduction...every deduction. This has two benefits, one, is the owner can improve their vehicle, and two, we can improve our deductions and clarify them.

With Dave's point, we are looking into a "Historical Interest" or special interest class similar to our HPOCF certification. We have begun to see many people restoring airport limos, race cars, ambulances, speedsters, etc. which have a Chevrolet chassis but contracted or period correct bodies to put on the chassis. These do not have a true place, presently, in our system. I think it would be very educational and interesting to see a restored airport limo. We want to encourage people to save these as well don't we? But how do you place them in commercial with a pick up truck that was built from the factory? You can't judge apples with oranges. That's is what we are doing by placing everything in commerical.

What do you all feel about looking into a Historical or Special Interest certification?

cool

Steve Scott- VCCA Judging Committee
1985 Type 10 Cavalier Conv.
1986 Cavalier RS Conv.
https://nirvcca.wordpress.com/
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Thanks Steve-I now understand what the historical or special intrest certification is all about.Was planning on asking Dirnberger more about it next week in Iowa.Sounds like a good idea and shouldn't add any great burden to the present judging program.Does this mean Pinky could have his speedster certified bigl

There may even be a 1938 school bus in Iowa for judging.Was at the SPT in Branson.At the present how would a school bus be judged??same as a fire truck which isn't all "CHEVROLET" either..???..

Hope to see you in Iowa City next week

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
STEVE THAT WOULD BE AN IDEA TO HASH OVER (IF ENOUGH VEHICALS WARRENTED IT AT EACH MEET)
AS I SAID I AM NOT IN THE PRESERVATION OR RESTORATION AND COLLECTING OF OLD CHEVIES FOR THE TROPIES (BUT ONE IS NICE SOMETIMES)IT IS FOR THE LOVE OF THE CARS.
I JUST WONDERED HOW AN UNRESTORED (WISH IT TO STAY THAT WAY) NONE ORIGINAL HOME MADE BODIED (OR LACK OF) CHEVY WILL FARE IN THE EYES OF THE GREAT VOLUNTEERS THAT JUDGE AT THESE MEETS WOULD JUDGE IT. THIS WILL (PROBABLY) BE THE ONLY TIME IT WILL BE ENTERED FOR JUDGING (JUST TO SEE ITS RESULTS)AT THIS MEET OF THE VCCA (FROM THEN ON ONLY FOR DISPLAY PURPOSES-MY OWN RULES- ONLY JUDGE ONCE AT GIVEN SHOW)
ENOUGH OF MY TWO CENTS ABOUT MY CAR AND MY THOUGHTS I WILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS IN MIDLAND IN JULY
38653 AKA DAVE

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Gene, yes I'll be at Iowa City. I think a school bus is exactly what we are talking about. Police and Fire vehicles, any Chevrolet that has historical and special interest but was contracted by GM or , perhaps a period correct speedster would fit there. You would be able to certify or judge the "condition" of the non-GM pieces but it might be a can of worms if you try to certify or judge the "authenticy" of the piece.

Hey, now besides those great Fire Truck rides we could possible talk school bus owners in a clip around the parking lot! I think a school bus ride would bring back a lot of memories. Let's look into this some more. dance

Steve Scott- VCCA Judging Committee
1985 Type 10 Cavalier Conv.
1986 Cavalier RS Conv.
https://nirvcca.wordpress.com/

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.