Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#74087 11/13/05 01:19 AM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
This should be really easy but I'm having some difficulty with my track style underbed spare tire carrier assembly. This style was used from 41 to 50. Later mounts were of the pivot type or side mount. Anyway, the factory assembly manual does not show the track carrier, only the pivot type. Please email if you can help me understand exactly how this assembly works, perhaps we can trade some pictures because it's difficult to convey in text. My main bracket slides onto the underbed track and rests nicely at the end of the track. It this position, the J-hook looks perfect and sticks straight down to the other end of the main bracket mounting hole. There's a smaller adapter mount that gets mounted to the frame and is positioned at the center of the wheel/tire assembly. This smaller adapter mount straddles the main bracket. Trouble is that the mount does not appear to be in the correct position - there are stop tabs in the main bracket that are spaced to receive the adapter mount. In my case, the adapter mount does not align properly with the main bracket stop tabs. There's maybe a 2-inch offset. If I adjust the main bracket so the stop tabs align with the adapter mount, the J-hook is on a severe angle and does not look correct. Like I said - pictures might be more useful..... Thanks for any help. 49trucknut

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Lou Offline
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
I can send you pictures of 37. Different years have different size rack. Mine use T hook rather than J hook but same idea.
I have 43 PU in my 37 Canopy and I have a 2X4 above tire to fill clearance.
Lou, <c1937@znet.com>

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.