Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#59561 11/17/06 06:20 AM
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
The time has come. We have reached the point where we need to upgrade the program that runs our site. Many thanks to "secret" testers who have been banging on the CHAT II site the past week or so. While there are some things that we don't fully like about it, in general, it seems to do what we need and it offers the security that should keep us safe from future hackers and virus attacks.

Now, to make it really interesting, I am going to move us to a different host company this weekend... yes, AGAIN!!!! After tonight's long meeting with our company, I have no other choice but to leave them. They are unworthy of our hard earned money. They're nice people, but unable to fix their technical problems... so we must bid them adieu.

I really don't like doing it this way, but I'm not going begin the upgrade and then "hope" that our host finally solves their problem...It's been three weeks and they are still unable to resolve the issue.

Best guess... I may need to shut down as early as Friday evening. Then we'll move all 130 Megs of our files from Vancouver, Washington, to Vista, California. This could take 8-10 hours.

Then once they are all there, we'll begin the conversion to the new program. That is estimated to take 8 hours.

My target is to be back up and running either late Saturday night or on Sunday.

Now you know what happened the last time that we changed hosting companies... arghhhhh!!!!!

But let's hope that the second time is the charm.

I'll post status at http://vcca.org/chat

See you on the other side. yay yay [Linked Image from vccachat.org] yay yay

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
#59562 11/19/06 01:14 AM
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Saturday Evening (well, okay, it's actually Sunday now) ----

We almost made it.

It's been another "interesting" weekend. First the good news...

• We moved our whole chat site to a new hosting company.
  • The performance improvement is noticeable.
  • The support from them has been very good.

And then there's the bad news...
  • Just when we were getting ready to start the conversion, I noticed that the database that they installed on our server, is one version too old.
  • And when I asked them to upgrade it (at approx 9 pm Sat night), they regrettably informed me that the person who does that won't be in the office until Monday at 8 am.

So, that's when I decided to pull the stop-cord and figure out how to configure our old Chat site and get it working on this new host. This took me approximately 3 hours just to get old buggy back up and running.

I'm not going to spend much time checking it out, so you may find an error or two that show up. I noticed a graphic that didn't display. But I'm going to bed now and you're welcome to pound away on it. I don't think that you can hurt it. Please don't prove me wrong... ha!

See you tomorrow... er, rather later today. chevy

Bill Barker
#59563 11/19/06 11:13 AM
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Okay, the old system is up for a while. You should be able to use it until I pull it down on Monday. Have fun.

Bill Barker
#59564 11/20/06 04:15 PM
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
The conversion for tonight is ON!!! We successfully completed the database upgrade today (Monday). Say goodbye since the old Chat system will be taken offline sometime in the next 3 or 4 hours.
bigl bigl bigl bigl

I have a committment tomorrow afternoon and evening, so when the new CHAT II comes online, I won't have a lot of time to "shape" it. Don't get too ansy about what you see at first. Remember I wanted to do this so that I'd have the Thanksgiving weekend to work on it. Soooo... give me a week before you wack at it!!

The question will be:
luv2 - or - flush

Bill Barker
#59565 11/20/06 10:25 PM
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
OP Offline
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
**** The Chatter site will go offline in 90 minutes. 11 pm PST. See you on the other side!!

Bill Barker

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
2 members (Peter_Gariepy, 1 invisible), 77 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,069
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.