Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I need to protect my 28 Chevy coupe from the elements. Some day I hope to build a garage but in the mean time I can only afford either a car cover or one of those 10x20 ft portable canvas garages like in Northern Tool catalogs.What is a better choice for protecting my Chevy from rain and weather? I live in Virginia where it does rain quite often and is humid in the summer.A friend of mine had his classic car in a canvas dome garage but said it got too humid in it and he switched to a car cover? It seems like the rain can bounce under his car though? Any suggestions?

Scott

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Entsminger, I like a cover when the car is inside a shed or garage that isn't too tight to keep dust off the paint, a cover outside may rub on the contact points and damage the paint, if I was in your place I would do both. put it under cover of a "portable garage" and put a cover over it to keep dirt off.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
If you are in a rainy country, then an open-air portable canopy is the way to go I feel. A car cover inside of a dry closed building works fine, but if the car is sitting outside in a humid atmoshpere, then moisture, dampness and mildew will collect under the car cover and eventually cause damage to your car in the way of surface rust, corrosion, upholstery rot and so forth. Once inside of the car cover, the moisture cannot really escape that easily. Also, don't forget about snow and ice sitting on top of the car too. With an open air type of canopy, then the car can breathe, and any moisture that does collect can then dissipate as well.

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.