Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Hello everyone,

Our meet chairman (Dean Echols, Chip Sweet, and John Mahoney Jr.) are working hard to create a spectacular event in 2006. I'm lucky enough to be the point person with the special events and the banquet and was hoping to get some of your ideas for events we should do at the meet?

Ideas might include:

• Golf tournament
  • Trivia/Jeopardy Challenge
  • Auto-restoration challenges
  • etc.etc.etc.

What kinds of things do you think would be NEW and FUN!?!

-------------------------
James W. Burnes

Former VCCA Board Member, 2002-2005

Vintage Chevrolet Archives
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
James I suppose you mean in addition to the traditional "Wet Tee Shirt" Contest? Maybe we can also have a sub-senior class in addition to the regular senior class, too!

Maybe We can get some ideas at our General Meeting this Sunday afternoon, I will ask for the subject to be included on the meeting agenda.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I dont go to meets to play golf or any other non-auto related things.I would suggest planing "car" things ,at least for the men, at that is what is expected.The time goes so fast that that there usually isn't much left for the traditional things such as tours, seminars, judging , and the like.From previous meets the thing most talked about a year later was the tours-if they were to intresting areas.....just my thoughts....Its difficult to make every one happy chevy

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
James, I would like to suggest that the hospitality night be held as a parking lot party. We could have a DJ with Karioke? We could have the opening ceremonies at a central area and have drinks and cracker barrel outside where we could walk around, meet people, sit, look at cars, shoot the bull, or whatever. I felt the last hospitality night in Springfield in 2001 did not go over as well as it could have.

Steve dance

Steve Scott- VCCA Judging Committee
1985 Type 10 Cavalier Conv.
1986 Cavalier RS Conv.
https://nirvcca.wordpress.com/
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Steve,

That's a great idea. Indeed, hospitality night has been less than great in the past.

The nice thing about the hotel we're at is that there is a great outdoor patio and such for use on hospitality night and other evenings. Putting it in and among the cars would be fun.

- James

James W. Burnes

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Steve, Just a warning:

For Karioke to be fun, it requires lots and lots of booze . drink

John Mahoney III
1986 Chevrolet K5 Blazer
2008 Mustang GT (yeah I know its a ford, but it lights up tires)
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I guess that hospitality night at Springfield wasn't to good as I don't even remember it :confused: or could it be old age?I agree, visiting amoung the cars is always a success......Steve- How is your engine running??

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
In my opinion, forget the Karioke thing - makes it too hard to hear, while you're trying to talk about the cars. As per comment above about golf, we ain't there to sing! DJ's make too much noise, too.

I have noticed also that at most events, the Parking Lot is where the action is, especially early on, when people have just arrived. Just provide a place to stand around or sit, close to the cars, and let things develop..... they will.

chevy

Chevy Guru
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
James, you could make the Hospitality time an optional function for those that also want to socialize and relax from the day's activities.

There will always be those that enjoy just telling Chevie stories and kicking tires and getting "INTO' the old cars, some of us like both. no one will drag them into a social affair will they? or is that a male fantasy?

There should be a good variety of members attending the National Anniversary meet and a variety of activities would not seem out of place.

Some of the members (the views expressed here really encompass just a small minority of VCCA members)may also like to have a nine hole round of cow pasture pool instead of going to another function.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
It seems to me that waiting five years to go to a national meet, That there Is hardly enough time to take In all the chevy goings on and I think planning a golf outing Is way down the list for activities to do. I can play golf at home and Im not waiting five years for the meet, So I can play golf and miss the car stuff. I guess that If a few get together on their own to golf, Ok. Just my thought about setting up a golf outing. :) chevy chevy chevy :)

DON BOLTZ FROM THE EVERGREEN STATE
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Lookink back to Hospitality night at Spring Field-I don't believe there was one .Monday night was the opening ceremony,I remember that because I had the honor of lighting a candle on the cake, And that took place of the traditional Hospitality night.I could do with out music also.It interupts the visiting and thats the most important thing during "social" times.Often too many things are planed and many that I have talked with prefer to relax and chat in the evenings.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
There is nothing wrong if someone wants to put a golf outing together. After all this is a convention. Sometimes we forget that not every family member that attends our meet is a Chevrolet fanatic. It does not matter if three people play and have fun or three hundred, all that matters is that they have fun! I am sure if it is in the G&D there will be members to would love to participate in a game. Something like this could be very positive. There are members who do not attend because there is nothing for their spouse to do, this might be it. The ladies socials are nice, but my wife would never attend, because it is just not for her. We have a fashion show which is fun for some, personally it is not for me. If members are having fun doing it then by all means do it. This golf outing might be a way to forge new friendships, and create something for people to look forward to doing every five years. James go for it! I remember Chip saying this at the first All Cylinder Tour on Cape Cod "It's not just about the cars, it's about the people." How true that statement is.
John
PS I don't golf, and I don't want to try!

John

1954 Belair Sport Coupe
1960 2 door Impala Hardtop 348/340HP 4spd
1962 2 door Impala Hardtop 409/409 4spd
1962 2 Door Biscayne Sedan 327/250 Auto
1977 Monza Mirage 305 4 Speed
1988 Celebrity Wagon
2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Diesel
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
How about a round of Crazy Quail or Sporting Clays or even a round of Hi-Power Silhouette, Metalica? You know Chickens, Turkeys,Pigs, and Rams! I expect we could find a range somewhere around Grand Junction.

Another thing, Why do the powers that be often seperate the couples, Ladies this way Gents the other way, Why not have a lot of activities that both can enjoy together?

I do agree that some events are fine seperated but not all of them. My wife don't complain about rideing in the dust and heat all day, why not attend a show or other form of entertainment together in the evenings?

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I agree that it would be nice to see more activities that encourage family/couple participation.

We need to have activities for all ages to enjoy as well. Wouldn't you like to see some younger generations bring their families and have a good time?

What can we do for them?

James W. Burnes

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Gene, thanks for asking, we are still having problems and until school gets out I won't be able to tackle it. I am taking it over to a mechanic. It no longer is fun and I have to take a break from it. It has never run right since I had it rebuilt. The timing marks are up at 12:00 and I can't set it a 8 degrees BTC where it's supposed to without running terrible. I think the rebuilder never degreed the cam correctly. The TDC marks are fine on the harmonic balancer but it runs best at 12:00 and it off the charts. Driving me nuts.

Steve :confused:

Steve Scott- VCCA Judging Committee
1985 Type 10 Cavalier Conv.
1986 Cavalier RS Conv.
https://nirvcca.wordpress.com/
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Steve, I'll have to make a house call.I didn't know that we lived so close.Went thru the edge of your town a few weeks ago on the way to Grays Lake to see Jim Lehman.Sounds as if the timing chain may be a tooth off chevy devil

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I agree with everything Chevgene said! I’m looking forward to meeting everyone that is on this chat page that I don’t already know. Now there is something, we should have a group meeting or something just for the chat people during the hospitality night. I think we wait 5 years for these meets why waste it on things like golf when we can think of better things to do like car games. Now that I brought that up why not have car games at the hospitality night. Come up with things like who can drive the slowest in 100 feet. Who can drive thru the balloons with out popping them. This way the whole family is involved in the car games. I know my Dad and I have done them before and we always have a good time..

32 Confederate
Bruce S. DeFord
VCCA Judging Committee Chair

The Great American Value for 1932
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Sounds great, do want to put it together?
John Mahoney

John

1954 Belair Sport Coupe
1960 2 door Impala Hardtop 348/340HP 4spd
1962 2 door Impala Hardtop 409/409 4spd
1962 2 Door Biscayne Sedan 327/250 Auto
1977 Monza Mirage 305 4 Speed
1988 Celebrity Wagon
2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Diesel
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
John,

I've added a Chevy Chat session to my list of "special events" to put together. That's a winner!

- James

James W. Burnes

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I've also added "Chevrolympics" to the list. laugh

James W. Burnes

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
How about a list of Vanity license plates..
Guess what they stand for.
Like the one I saw on a 03 Z06 Torch Red Covette
ACR RED
All covttes are RED.

Garya

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Just so everyone knows, I'm in communication with Meet Chair Dean Echols regarding several ideas included on this forum. Keep them coming.

Possibilities thus far:

- Chevrolympics
- Golf
- Card tournament (Bridge, hearts or Euchre)
- Hospitality night nearer the cars (Perhaps a Hawaiin Luau theme or similar?)

- James

James W. Burnes

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
NO GOLF! Unless you can come up with a 31 Chevy golf cart!

32 Confederate
Bruce S. DeFord
VCCA Judging Committee Chair

The Great American Value for 1932
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
While (at this stage) there is no way I can attend a part of the chevrolympics is balloon collection. Balloons semi secured to the ground and as vehicle drives past without stopping the passenger on the opposite side of the vehicle has to grab the balloon and secure it either in or onto the car. As you might guess it is not high speed as the balloon will be out of reach before the passenger can get hold of the balloon.
It is a game of skill for driver and passenger, driver getting close enough for the passenger to reach the balloon and passenger to grab the balloon from within the car.
Stopping the vehicle or opening the door is disqualification and the most balloons wins You could also put a time limit if desired.
Dependant on the number of entries per event determines the acrage required.
A local show use potatoes on a piece of wire and utilities The passenger rides on the back and a set number of potatoes are in a line.
chevy bigl

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Steve Scott hit the radiator on the cap.
Hospitality outside where you can look, kick tires, and just walk around and talk. Cars is what it is all about.

I also believe costume judging should take place at a time and place other than where all the meet participants are. A fashion show of all the winners is fine but not the judging process. There is a very small percentage of VCCA that is interested or takes part in this activity.

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.