Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#50464 11/23/03 02:04 PM
Chipper Offline OP
ChatMaster - 15,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 15,000
FYI,
I have received word that the VCCA 2004 Southern Spring Tour in Branson, MO area is already sold out and there are at least two on the waiting list. All this and the announcement ad has not run in the G&D yet. Understand that the ad is already printed in the Dec. issue and it's too late to put "sold out" on it. I have also heard that the 2004 4 cyl tour is booked full also.

Guess touring is getting real popular. We need a few more people to step forward and put together more 4 and early 6 cylinder tours. Spring and Fall in the Southern states or Summer in the North in the Central or Eastern areas should be good times for other tours. Any interest?

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I too can confirm the 2004 4-cyl tour is booked full. What I would like to know is how can a tour get booked full before it is announced unless certain "preferred" people receive advance notice?

Chipper Offline OP
ChatMaster - 15,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 15,000
The people that have previously been on a tour are typically on a mailing list that receive notice of the next tour. Also they know where the next tour is planned at the close of each tour. Many express their desire to attend the next tour at that time. Others let the people working on the tours know that they are interested and wish to be put on the mailing list for notification.

Those that work on the tour are assured a spot if they want to go and sign up in a reasonable time. If that is what you meant by "preferred" then I guess it is true. It is easy to get on that preferred list work on a tour or start another one.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
There's a V8 tour coming up in June. You are welcome to contact me now to be on the "email" list when more details are available. :)

- James

-------------------------
James W. Burnes

Former VCCA Board Member, 2002-2005

Vintage Chevrolet Archives
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Yes, I would be interested in helping organize a area or national tour. I would hope that it would be possible to intern on a tour with some one like Bill Bradford, Chip, or Tom Meleo. I think that directing a regional or club day tour would be a good place to at least get into what is involved with the logistics of an organized tour, I know it certainaly opened my eyes about a few things.
I agree that it is a shame that everyone that want's to make these good managed tours don't have the opportunity to go since they fill up almost as soon as the tour directors post the information. Several of us that were rookies on the National Pre-1929 tour in New Mexico were greived to hear that several members that had been doing this tour before did not get to participate because it filled up very soon. We may be to the point to where there is some way we can have more attending, but there is a good reason for limiting the tour to 50 or 60 cars, the timeing of departure and arrival at points of interest become diffucult for more than 50 cars.
It may be possible to have another set of assistant tour directors and another 50 cars to participate by having one group say group "A" doing one tour and group "B" doing another route, then the next day alternating the groups. They could stay at the same hotel or resort, have evening and breakfast meals together and enjoy the fellowship together. This fellowship is an important consideration, for many of us, when chooseing which tours to register for.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
So in other words, these tours are by invitation only and the ad in the G&D is just a formality. :rolleyes: I would have no problem working on a tour or helping out in any number of ways if I knew in advance.

Our region has had some awesome tours here on the sunny left coast in the last couple of years so I really can't complain. Perhaps we will arrange something of our own around 50 cars. I woule like to learn from those who have set up such a tour before as I haven't organized a tour of that size before. I hope at least some of you would attend, I think it would be really fun to meet you. laugh laugh

Cheers,
-R chevy

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Rustyfender, NO, these tours are NOT just by invitation only, by intent or by sly of hand. They are for VCCA members only ,however.
The 1st 50 to send in registration forms and their fees are the ones that the tour directors place on the list in the order that their forms and fees are received, there is also a waiting list in case someone has to pull out of the tour before a set date.
I attended the 2003 National Pre-1929 tour and I am one of those that failed to register in time for next year's tour in Cody Wyoming because I have been having problems decideing if my summer schedule was going to allow our attending.
I believe that the members that belong to a Region and are active in the club have a better chance because they are more informed of coming events than having to rely on the G&D for current information.
Also,it seems to me that VCCA Tours have become much more popular in the last several years and the demand is way ahead of the supply.
I know several members that have recently bought pre-1929 and also pre-1955 Chevrolets with the desire to attend the National Pre-1929 Tour (Tom Meleo) and the Southern Spring Tour for Four cylinder and early Six cylinder Chevrolets (pre- 1955) (Bill Bradford)

chevy

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Chip, I want to thank you and Rustyfender for posting the news that these two tours have been sold out already, maybe it will prevent someone from sending in their forms and check and then the tour director having to return their checks.

Chipper Offline OP
ChatMaster - 15,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 15,000
I also feel that is a shame that everyone that wants to attend a particular tour cannot do so. But the limits are put on because of many reasons. Putting a line of 50 vehicles on a road stretches to over a mile. When traveling at less than typical road speed it becomes a potential safety hazard. Once you get over 100 people facilities to accommodate them at once get fewer. Yes you can have route A, route B, route C, and stager times at a particular venue and attractions. If you have guided tours of facilities any number much over 10 means that someone cannot hear. The list goes on and on.

You also want offer those that have supported the tour in the past and have friends on a tour to have the opportunity to renew friendships. The tours quickly become like a family reunion. Every year you get to catch up of weddings, births, graduations, new-old Chevrolets, etc. I could go on and on again here.

I feel that the only practical solution is to have more tours. The vision is to have so many that people must choose carefully which ones that they go on. I would not be against one every week somewhere in Vintage Chevy land.

If anyone wants to put on a tour I will happily lend what ever I can to support it. Having planned, held and participated on several, I can assure you that tours are not difficult to plan and execute. They do not take much time to set up. Most of the work can be done from the comforts of home. A few phone calls and lots of literature from the State, City, County Visitors Bureaus, some detailed maps are all that is needed to get a good start. A one to a few days on site to actually do the final routes, meal, lodging arrangements are needed. Then a little more time to get the costs understood (or a good estimate), prepare the registration form, notice for the G&D, register participants, prepare the tour booklet and then it is tour time. Now the fun begins.

Why not get a couple of your VCCA friends revved up, select a time and place and get after it? It is a lot of fun to set them up particularly anticipating how much fun those on the tour will have. We always plan to have stuff that will appeal to both the guys and gals. Also consider the kids, as summer tours are sure to have a few of them. (A swimming pool is a must for them.)

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
I think Chip has a good idea, I have driven all of the lower 48 states and the 3 western Canadian provinces. My wife and I spent 4 years doing it full time at company expense and the more of this great country we saw the better we like it. There are many Regions and Areas that can conduct very interesting tours and meets. Different climates could be taken advantage of , Northern climates in summer and Sunbelt areas in the late fall and early spring. presently the season is fairly short and it seems we are going all out and wide open in the late spring and summer months. We all probably are more familar with the day tours that clubs have several times each year. I hope that we can get more of the Areas (with help from some of us )that will offer our help and services to conduct tours and open them up to all VCCA members.

Maybe Billy BaRRker will open a forum for those that want to plan and discuss holding tours?

xxx Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
A couple of naive questions:

#1. Does a tour in terms of cost; make money, break even, loss money for the VCCA? :confused:

#2. There is a lot of work involved to sponsor a tour; is it all done by just volunteers? :confused:

It would seem to be to everyones' benifit to have a lot of tours. yipp But...it depends on #1. and #2. above. ok

croc

Chipper Offline OP
ChatMaster - 15,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 15,000
Answer to question #1
The objective is for the tour to break even. Some times they are a little short and fortunately sometimes a little long. It all over the long run will balance out.

To #2
All the tours are by volunteers. Most pay their own expenses to put on the tours. On the Southern Spring Tour we are trying to pay some of the expenses to set up the tour similar to the criteria for Area Board Member expenses. I personally feel that we do not want people to refrain from working on a tour because of the economic cost. I am not sure what happens on the other tours as I have not been involved in the economics of them.

xxx Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I can't say enough to thank the people newangel who give the club their time and energy (and pay their own expenses) so freely to help all of the members have success and fun at club functions. Be it arranging a local club meeting to a larger national tour, (with some BBQ's & picnics in there somewhere too).

A club is only as good as its' members and thank goodness the VCCA has members willing to help. Some of the jobs are dirty and messy or hot and sweaty but all of the jobs have got to be done. :)

Some clubs I have been in have had 20% willing to work and 80% who complain about the work the 20% did. mad

So I hope the VCCA does something special for the volunteers, even tho they would do the work w/o getting something. luv2

It should would be nice to have more tours so everyone who wants to tour could, and or course it would build intrest in the club, but w/o additional people to help it would overwork the voluntees that do 1 tour now. drink

croc

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The only event that the National is financially involved in would be the annversary meets that are held every five years.
The regional meets are planned by their members and some loose and some profit by running a meet.If profit is made it is usually done thru the raffles.
The tours are not free.The people attending pay a fee to cover things like entrance fees and prearranged meals on the tours and the pre-tour meal as well as the final supper.The loosers are the ones that spent their time traveling to set-up the tours.No money from the National is involved.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Hello everyone!

It has been mentioned here a few times the maybe we need a training session for planning a National Tour. With the Anniversary Meet in 2006 that would be an excellent Seminar topic! Who is the person to talk too about this? I think we have some excellent tours that would be good examples. Not to leave any out but three comve to mind right away- Early 6 Cylinder, Southern, and the 4 Cylinder. I have not attended any of these yet. Vacation is limited to 2 weeks till 2006. Yopu know where I'll be then. So it looks like 2007 till I can plan to attend. Any thoughts?

Member 45+ years, been around since the beginning !
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The best training session for a tour would be just attending one.This would give the foremat of a tour and any changes -improvements -could be adapted as tour organizers thought would be necessary.

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Well, I guess it's time that got my two cents worth in on this string (I've been too busy working on my old Chevys and storage building to check the chat-site lately).
In my humble opinion, participating in VCCA tours is about the best thing since sliced bread (or should I say sex!). The reason we plan these things year after year is that it's so much fun. We enjoy the old Chevys, the new sights and, most of all, the people.
The 2004 Southern Spring Tour will be it's 7th year. For the first 5 years we barely broke even financially and, if you factor in the planning costs we were in the hole. This was because the planners were having so much fun they didn't bother to address their personal expenses racked up while planning the tours.
Now that we have a pretty good idea of how much it costs to run one of these things we can set the registration fee to cover not only the cost of the meals, attractions and incidentals but also some tour planners expenses.
There have been some great comments in this string on tour planner training. Up to now the only way to figure out how to plan a tour was to jump in with both feet and do one. That may change in the next year or so. At the last Board (2003)meeting an new committee was formed called the "Touring Committee". Jim Farris ( farrismej@aol.com ) is the Chair. This committee is looking at ways to help the club recognize touring more. So far we have discussed ways to offer VCCA awards for participating in tours which is a great idea. I think this committee could also be a resource for helping members in operating tours (maybe a manual or class). What do you think?
Folks, it's obvious that we need more tours. The word is out that it's a blast to drive these old Chevys. Don't be shy. Plan a tour in your area and put the word out. As Kevin Costner said: "Build it and they will come..." yipp

ChevyBill
(Bill Bradford)

"Listen to the Roar of a Chevrolet Four!"
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Bill,
I am just another voice, but I can see where a touring manual along the lines of the material you use to start a new region would be very helpful to a new tour director, even though they have attended several National and Regional Tours.

I also believe that doing a couple of tours as an Intern (Asistant Jr. Director)would be a good way to become a tour director and it would also give the experianced directors some help with the logistics..... Then move them up in class in the same way as judges are done. Recognize them for acheiving each step from Intern to a full fledged National Touring Director.

I edited this paragraph to include the necessity...
for knowing the requirements for getting VCCA sanction for your tour. Insurance requirements, proper procedures for collecting fees and record keeping, logging in registrations, Scheduleing in conjunction with other Regional and National events, posting in the VCCA publication and web site in a timely manner, also requirements for notifying the National Board and getting their Ok, Etc. Etc.

I am sure the National Board has seen the rapid rise in the interest of touring these old cars and in classes, from Pre 1929, and 4s and early 6s, up and thru a Power tour for the V/8 cars and trucks.
I see potential for maybe a regional/National tour for Corvettes, VCCA only and any other that one may think of.

I don't know of any other phase of the hobby that has caused members to buy and restore the older cars on the same level as those desireing to tour and get these cars on the road with the idea of attending a well managed and planned National Tour.

I am sure you have noticed the increase in particpation in the National and Area tours you regularly set-up and attend.

This site is a very good place to recruit and train some members that would like to help work a tour, but do not have a clue as to how to start the process.

Thanks for asking!

chevy

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
We must keep in mind we do not need lots of rules and regulations. To date the tours have been relaxed and fun. We need to let the folks know it is the fun and fellowship we enjoy. All of the early six cylinder tours but one have been hosted by individuals. Only one was done by a region. We just try to break even on finances. We keep registration to 50 vehicles to find motels we can all stay in and the ease of dinner locations.

See you down the back roads. Jim

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Right Jimo, But if you want VCCA sanction the tour directors need to know the applicable VCCA By-laws and RULES!
Maybe in a Region tour for all their members only, you can let some rules slide.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
We have had eight very good Early Six Cylinder Tours to date. All have been sanctioned by VCCA. All participants must be VCCA members and they have been for 1929 - 1954 Chevrolets. We have limited it to fifty vehicles. I believe a seminar at the anniversary meet with a presenter from each of the existing National Tours presenting how they do it will show other members they can also host a National Tour. The more requirements you have the more difficult it becomes to get someone to be a host. My wife and I were host for one day of a Glidden Tour a few years back and we hosted an Early Six Cylinder Tour. Hosting five days of the Six Cylinder tour was a walk in the park compared to the Glidden.

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
xxx Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
A "Guide to How to set-up a tour" would be great, there is a lot you need to know and getting advise from people who have "been there, done that" is priceless information. :love:

Even giving out phone numbers or emails (w/permission, of course) of people who can give you advise would be good also. laugh

Simple things like insurance, fire extinguisher, flares, First Aide kit, etc can be forgotten about. yipp

croc

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
You are right on Gator. Have you ever changes a rear axle on a '31 in a motel parking lot? It can be done in about 30 minutes if you are prepared. A spare tube under the seat might come in handy also. How to host a tour and how to participate on a tour are important things to know.

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
We can even tell you how to change a '27 drive shaft in the motel parking lot in about 1 hour. The first requirement is to have an extra drive shaft in the trailer! yipp The VCCA "Touring Committee", which I mentioned in an earlier post, is going to tackle putting together a touring handbook. I'll be sifting through all the posts in this and other threads for good ideas on touring, so keep them coming.

ChevyBill

"Listen to the Roar of a Chevrolet Four!"
xxx Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Thanks ChevyBill, it just occurred to me that with Chatter all of us on here can have some input to the national club; which is something very unique to the VCCA and to a regular member like me. laugh :love:

Cool... :cool2: :cool2:

A few ideas; have maybe the guys who have done tours (& want to do them) get together at meets and discuss and go over ideas for a tour manual. Can the national ask local clubs to put this on their agenda for discussion? They could send you their minutes to look over. Also, if the rough draft of the manual was on-line everyone could get involved in the edit process. :cool2:

croc

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
What I like about the pre 29 Tour is the lack of formal rules and regulations that would be codified by a National VCCA "Tour Guidelines".

The Tour Master or Host is in charge of the tour, and members who want to have thing done their own way, [such as no box lunches or no downdraft carby] are encouraged to start and put on their own tour.
KenK

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Ken, I don't advocate having a bunch of rules, however this isn't Outback Steakhouse, and the Tour Director must adhere to some basic VCCA by-laws such as not to schedule with another National Event, and VCCA does require notice so that the Club's liability insurance is in effect for the event.

It is only right that the Tour Sponser, host, or Director set the rules for the tour's activities.

xxx Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I see a "Tour Guideline" as something to help someone set up a tour, not a "you must do the following in the order stated or ...." We are trying to create more tours for all to enjoy and have fun not fewer. laugh

But there are a few basic things (if a VCCA event) that need to be followed like MrMack said. Sometimes people will surprise you, common sense isn't as common as it use to be. :( In the past when I set up tours for the AACA I had people wanting to bring alcohol to drink in the cars, guns in the cars with children (I know some of you think this should be a requirement for everyone), no safety stuff, some cars that were accidents just waiting to happen; no brakes, lights, etc.

croc

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
One of these postings mentioned a line of 50 cars on a tour. I prefer directions that will allow for varied starting times so we don't have to be in line and follow the leader. What we use is:

Point to point Accumulated Direction
1.3 1.3 Right onto
2.5 3.8 Straight at
5.3 9.1 Left onto

If a time for something in needed at the top of the page give that information and then folks can start according to the speed they want to drive and if I want to stop for ice cream or potty and others don't that is OK.

See you down the back roads.
Jim

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
xxx Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Same here I don't want to make it into a job mad where I have a strict schedule to follow and a line like a parade. :rolleyes: Redlights and stuff will be more of a problem with more and more cars lined up. :(

croc

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I would be concern about making guidelines for Safety Stuff for the pre 29 Tours! Strict brake stopping distances, brake light, minimum head lamp candle power, age of tires, seat belts, rear view mirrors, rear and side visibility, windshield wippers, or even windshields would be hard to evaluate in many cases. Driving an early Chev 4 in traffic is basicly unsafe, so we try to make the most out of it. You have to drive the pre 25 Chev 4's {and Sixes and Eights] like an accident is about to happen! Too many guidelines in the name of safety will park my 1912 Runabout back in a museum where it sat for 20 years.
KenK

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
VCCA does not want to set standards to say a vehicle is or is not safe. That would set the club up for liability cases in the event of an accident. Each owner should take enough pride in their vehicle to make it as safe as possible. If it is as good as when new it should be safe for a tour. Jim

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Really Jim, How about the VCCA requirement that every car in the judging field be required to have a working fire extingusher!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I'm talking about a safety inspection where we say the brakes, lights, horn, steering, etc. are all fine and in good working order. I have no problem requiring a fire extinguisher. Jim

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Ken,

You can give your runabout (and the V8) to me. I have plenty of Hoosier backroads to drive it on. laugh

- James

-------------------------
James W. Burnes

Former VCCA Board Member, 2002-2005

Vintage Chevrolet Archives
Chipper Offline OP
ChatMaster - 15,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 15,000
Jim,
And others,
We on the SST also print a book with directions both using intervals and accumulated mileage. We also print a map with the tour route highlighted in different colors for each day. We tell people in the tour booklet and at each days drivers meeting what time the tour leaders will leave. If they choose (and virtually everyone does) to follow the leader then there is a long line of cars. Being in a line is important if we have a police escort, or the police flag us through a busy intersection or we need to have groups together for guided tours or meals.

Small groups are more the norm for the return trip as some people want to spend more or less time at some venues. There are some that don't want to be in a big group so tend to travel by them selves.

It presents a problem for the trouble truck if the tour is streached too far apart. We sure don't want to leave someone on the side of the road without help but it also becomes a problem if everyone is not on the same route and near the same time.

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Chipper, that SST has a familar sound to it like SuperSonic Transport! or Stainless Steel Trigger.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
6 members (Stovblt, Rustoholic, Lou, CT2TX, kaygee, 1 invisible), 77 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,060
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.