Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#50389 10/13/03 07:48 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Have any dates been set for 2004 Eastern meets.
I am trying to arrange my show schedule
for next year.

Thanks,
Greg

1972 Monte Carlo
VCCA Senior
AACA Grand National
#50390 10/13/03 07:18 PM
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Greg, From what I have been told Area 10 is planning on one in June in the Baltimore Area This will be a one day event, not sure of the date, best to contact Ken for that one. Southern New England Region is hosting a Meet in July, tenetive dates are the 10&11,or the17&18 but it will be in July and a two day event with a tour on Saturday. This will be in the Hartford Area. Area 8 would be in August, the August meet is what is known as "The Eastern Meet" nothing has been mentioned yet. Ken, Dave and Myself had developed a rotation system for the three Areas to eliminate any conflicts with dates and allow for long term planing. In 2004 Area 11 was set for June but we were asked to switch to enable Area 10 with a location/date problem. The "All Cylinder Tour" will be in (tenitive) September in the Booth Bay Area of Maine. In 2005 it will be in the Smokey Mountians in North Carolina again in September. We seem to be rotating (by accident)this tour between the three Areas also.
See you,
John

John

1954 Belair Sport Coupe
1960 2 door Impala Hardtop 348/340HP 4spd
1962 2 door Impala Hardtop 409/409 4spd
1962 2 Door Biscayne Sedan 327/250 Auto
1977 Monza Mirage 305 4 Speed
1988 Celebrity Wagon
2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Diesel
#50391 10/14/03 07:26 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
John,
Thanks for the info. Regarding the SNER July
meet, which I really enjoyed last year, I
hope it will be the earlier week mentioned.
I will be at the AACA Annual Grand National
Meet in Buffalo on July 16-18.
I will watch the calendar for updates.
Since the AGMN is only this close to me
once in a while I want to take advantage of it
since I do not trailer my car.
See you soon.

Greg

1972 Monte Carlo
VCCA Senior
AACA Grand National
#50392 10/14/03 10:07 PM
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I'm taking my 32 to the Grand National next year as well. It's about a three day trip to get there for me. I've never been any where close to there so I don't know the area. I plan on taking some "day trips" while I'm up in that area. I'm going to the falls and everyone says to go to Niagra on The Lake. Anything else to see up there?

#50393 10/15/03 09:07 AM
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Greg,If you are going to the Grand National and you do not trailer your car I assume you are just going to look. Our Ohio Region hosted a Grand National several years ago and we had several folks go nuts because they had to drive their vehicle from the trailer parking area to the show field which was about three blocks on pavement. Enjoy the show.
STOVE BOLTS AND UPDRAFTS FOR EVER. SEE YOU DOWN THE BACK ROADS. Jim

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
#50394 10/15/03 10:37 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Are you saying that a car driven to a
Grand National can not compete?
My car is better than many I see come off a trailer. I have been told by many that
they can't believe I drive my car to meets.
I have spoken to others with AGNM awards
and they have driven it to the AGNM.

Greg

1972 Monte Carlo
VCCA Senior
AACA Grand National
#50395 10/15/03 11:53 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Greg,

As you know (but others may not) I am very familiar with your car. In fact, both Cindy and I, on seperate occasions, have had the privilege of judging your Monte Carlo. I would personally be disappointed :( in you if you didn't attend and compete in the AACA AGNM.

Yes, your car can and will out-point some (many) that are transported in a trailer. I will admit, when I arrived at Moline for the AGNM with an open trailer, I felt like a duck-out-of-water. There were very few open trailers, and even less members that drove their car to the meet. I drove the entire trip through rain. My car was a mess. I worked for 12 hours in front of the host hotel cleaning my car from the 12 hour trip. This was the 1st and only trip that my family couldn't attend with me. :(

I got great encouragement from Johnnie Garner and his wife (I'm embarrassed that I forget her name). They were parked next to me with 1 of their Mustangs. They have now brought 3 Mustangs through the AACA...... all have now won the AGNM Senior award. :p They drive their cars to every meet! They spent the better part of Thursday and Friday cleaning their Mustang from the rainy trip.

It felt great when they called my name for the 1st place AGNM award! laugh All the work was suddenly worth every hard minute I spent on the car.

This past weekend in Hershey, I judged Peter Heizmann's car. Peter has an open trailer.... ran through the same rain and mess to get to Moline.... Peter too has "earned" his AGNM Senior. :p

As you know, I have moved from an open trailer to an enclosed trailer. Less worry, less work, but most of all, because of my health issues that you and I have discussed. I wouldn't go back to the open trailer.

As most that read this post might remember, I was very vocal and outspoken about how the "younger" members view the VCCA and it's membership. As you might remember, most of my "perceived reality" was due to the actions, or lack of, by the membership that attended the meet in OHIO this past year.

I understand that Jim was speaking of the OHIO AACA AGNM, but I find it "ironic" at best, that another "member" from the OHIO area thinks that your Monte doesn't have a chance.......... especially when he has probably never seen your car. :confused: I also noticed that Jim's VCCA membership number is 00028..... tells me everything I need to know.

Peter Heizmann has a brilliant idea when he is trailering his car and might need to drive to the show field......... he brings some water and rags. Novel idea...... laugh

Our VCCA president, Dave Cavagnaro just wrote a very interesting article in the last issue of the G&D. I would suggest that the entire membership read the article, think about it, and maybe take it to heart.

One last note: Cindy my wife, Melissa my 14 year old daughter, and I visited the VCCA tent in Hershey on the Chocolate field. What a joke! Thank God our VCCA President took time to speak with me. However, there were at least 2 other National Board Members present when we returned at 3pm...... our VP Bill Bradford and another that I don't have a name to list. Neither one of these individuals, or the other 6 standing around, gave me or my family the "time of day". They quickly tried to get us to join the VCCA, but when they found out that we were already members, they sat down and ignored us. I stuck my hand out on several occasions to introduce myself........... they weren't interested.

20 minutes later we walked away! Cindy was so upset, she wanted to know if she could get on this DF and tell them exactly how she felt about how we have been treated in the VCCA. I told her yes..... but maybe we should just return to the VCCA spaces and tell them to their faces! We did just that...... hated to lower ourselves to their level, but some individuals just need to be told face to face!

As for the VCCA dates for 2004..... don't matter to me..... I won't be attending! But I won't give up my membership either.....

Yes, Greg.... bring your Monte! I will be there with my AGNM Senior award winning - VCCA Preservation Monte!

John laugh

87 Monte Carlo SS 42,000
74 Monte Carlo S 24,031
70 Monte Carlo 12,255
#50396 10/15/03 12:01 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
John,
Thank you for the response, and most of
all for the encouragement you have offered
to me since we met last year.
I will not let one person's "words of wisdom"
get me discouraged. And yes, I WILL be at the
AGNM, even if some others feel a driven
car can not compete. I know I will be in the
minority, but so what.....

Thanks again, John (and Cindy)

Greg Roser

1972 Monte Carlo
VCCA Senior
AACA Grand National
#50397 10/15/03 01:59 PM
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
First of all Greg please understand that I in no way was making any judgement on your vehicle. I am sorry if you ar anyone took it that way. To my knowledge I have not seen your vehicle. I was only pointing out the problems the participants gave us when they had to drive three blocks to the judging field.

For the first twenty years I drove our '31 to every meet I attended. I do know how much work it is to get ready for a show after driving two days in the rain. I now use an open trailer.

John, I don't have all the answers but I have a question for you. As a member of the host region for the meet in Ohio I would like to know what problems you had in Ohio.

See you Touring the Back Roads

Joined VCCA June 1, 1961
#50398 10/15/03 02:26 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Jim,

Rather than re-hash the entire discussion again, you can read the entire thread and my 6 posts by using this link:
https://vccachat.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=next_topic;f=35;t=000200;go=older

If after reading the entire discussion you still have some questions/comments, you can e-mail me at johnwharvey@comcast.net

John laugh

87 Monte Carlo SS 42,000
74 Monte Carlo S 24,031
70 Monte Carlo 12,255

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.