Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#50320 11/15/02 12:48 AM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Where would everyone like to see the 2011 anniversary meet take place? Do you really want to go to Flint for the 100th anniversary of Chevrolet?

-------------------------
James W. Burnes

Former VCCA Board Member, 2002-2005

Vintage Chevrolet Archives
#50321 11/19/02 04:03 PM
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
You're not the only one wondering about this issue. GM did a real number on that town and it isn't a place I take out-of-towners to visit. I wonder if the committee has bothered to look at the area yet. I can only think of one location in that area where the available lodging might come even close to accommodating a group that size and even that is questionable.

#50322 11/20/02 05:07 PM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Indeed, while it is nostalgic to consider Flint for a location of a meet, the presence of Chevrolet has continually diminished.

Is Detroit a better location? Certainly there are more facilities than Flint has to offer. But, if it isn't going to be in Flint for sentimental purposes, then why in Michigan at all?

James W. Burnes

#50323 11/20/02 08:15 PM
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Thought this location was already "carved in stone?" If not, consider the series of postings under the old string called "The Oldest Chevrolet" which started Sept. 5th in the 1912-28 forum section.

Actually, the company started production in Detroit, and was incorporated in NJ !!!!!

From a Ken Kaufmann post on this subject -

"....Don asks, "... seems like really it's only their 98th Anniversay though, eh???

This does raise a delicate matter on when exactly did the Chevrolet Motor Company start doing business?

Was it Monday, March 13, 1911 when Louis Chevrolet first moved into the garage at 707 Grand River Ave and started to design his extremely high power, 4 cyl, fast raceabout? This operation was more like a Race Team organization, patterned after the Buick Racing Team that gave Louis employment the last 3 years.

I think the Chevrolet Motor Company was actual organized after Bill Little took over, with the move in date of Tuesday, August 1st, 1911 of the leased new plant at 1145 West Grand Blvd. This is the date that I hope to be with the VCCA 50th Anniversary Meet in Detroit to take part in the Chevrolet grand 100th party.

The other possible Anniversary date could be the day before with the signing of the incorporation papers of the Mason Motor Co. up in Flint on Monday July 31, 1911. After all it was the Mason built engine that gave the Chev 4 its performance - with Chevrolet taking over the Mason company about 4 years later.

Unfortunately the official Chevrolet Motor Co. birth date is November 3rd, 1911 - which is no time to hold a party in Detroit!

The fact that Chevrolet takes credit for building those 2999 Little 4's for the 1912 production year, because they were built under a Chevrolet license, but this model doesn't mount a Chevrolet nameplate, shouldn't disqualify the Little 4's from entering any Oldest Chevrolet Contest.

Take a look at the VCCA 'Class A' Judging classification which list 1912-16 Except 490. It should be pointed out that the 1912 model applies only to the 1912 Little 4's. The first Chevrolet nameplated model is the 1913 Type C.

KenK "

So it seems like there are a lot of factors to consider. The original concept was that our VCCA 50th Anniversary Meet should coincide with Chevrolet's 100th (which is really their 99th).

Are they going to come and play with us? If not, sounds like it could be a whole new ball game here.....

chevy

Chevy Guru
#50324 11/20/02 10:11 PM
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Guru,

I probably should not have even entered this discussion and I'm certainly unprepared to argue on what date Chevrolet Motor Car Company was formulated or what date the VCCA should celebrate that occasion. I don't even think that is what was being questioned in this thread.

The question on this thread was, should the VCCA celebrate its 50th Anniversary (100th anniversary of Chevrolet) in Flint, Michigan in 2011? That depends, if the Committee plans on going to Flint to be at the location where so many Chevrolets were assembled over the years that's fine. But if their going there to see where they were assembled, forget it. There's nothing left to see. All of the building have been torn down and all that remains are huge slabs of concrete where the plant once stood on the banks of the Flint River. Except for a truck plant, no Chevrolet vehicles are being assembled in Flint currently. "Buick City" is no longer in operation and is in the throws of being torn down also and Flint is going through difficult times as a result of the Auto jobs lost over the past 15-18 years. Reason for my statement, "GM did a number on them."

Just my opinion, but, should Flint be the location for the 50th, I question weather the facilities available are large enough and have sufficient area to accomodate what the group will need.

I would be happy to see the event in Michigan and there are plenty of auto related things to see and do in the Metro area of Detroit. However, to drive your antique vehicle in the Metro area will be an experience to say the least. Traffic congestion is just to great. Unlike Rapid City or Springfield where you could drive 2-3 miles in a city type atmosphere before getting into a country setting, here in the Metro area you need to be at least 40 miles outside of the downtown Detroit area before you come even close to that type of open road driving.

There, enough said, I've expressed my opinion and if I'm still around in 2011, I'll attend the Anniversary Meet where ever it's held. Even in Flint, if that's where it's at.

#50325 11/20/02 11:19 PM
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I don't disagree, Oldie!

I was just trying to say, this question sort of ties in to the OTHER question about the whole affair. You guys have raised the very good point about if Flint has an adequate site – and the possible negative atmosphere there, as a result of the GM shut-downs.

I'm just trying to add, that we might end up “dancing alone” anyway – especially in 2011 – because Chevrolet might well see 2012 as being the year for their 100th. There is apparently some concern about Chevrolet “noticing” our 50th Anniversary, or coordinating with it. We can certainly hope that they would. They might not even be thinking that far out, yet.

Your point about being in metro-Detroit is well taken, too. I know the city somewhat, and it's pretty big and “urban” alright. But again, I agree that there is an awful lot of automotive stuff to tie into in that whole area.

I guess I'm just saying that if the 2011 Meet location isn't already set in stone, maybe the powers-that-be should consider some of these points above, that's all.

Like you, I'll be there no matter where it's held!

chevy

Chevy Guru
#50326 11/20/02 11:52 PM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Gentlemen,

When I started this discussion thread, I was looking at the simple reason of whether Flint was such a good idea...when Chevrolet is hardly there anymore.

I could write for hours on when we could argue the start of Chevrolet officially was and whether Little Motor Car Company vehicles are the official beginning of Chevrolet Motor Car Company...but that's for another post (check out this article written by myself, with input from Ken Kaufmann among others).

Chevy Guru makes the comments about the "powers that be" ought to consider the points he and Oldie make. The nice thing is that we're having this discussion now, rather than in 2006 after hearing the board announce an official location and it is too late.

Finding good locations are difficult for area meets, let alone National meets, and I only hope that there is serious discussion as to why we should be going to Flint for sentiment...or for posterity...or perhaps just because no one can think of a better idea! :confused:

- James

James W. Burnes

#50327 11/20/02 11:53 PM
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Yeah, Why have a 100 year controversy anyway, why don't we just go ahead and celebrate the VCCA 50th Anniversery where ever the members decide at the 2006 meeting in Grand Junction (maybe it is already decided?). We could follow that up the next year with a bang-up Chevrolet 100th birthday party and meet! We should be able find some good reason to have a National meet more often than every 5 years anyway, Who knows who is going to be around in five years anyway? (JMHO)

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
#50328 11/21/02 12:04 AM
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Good point Macky Wacky! I also think that we should have major national meets (anniversary meet if you will) more often than every 5 years. As you get older and older, 5 years is a long time to wait, especially if the meet is held in a location that it is not feasible for you to attend...so then that means you have to wait yet another 5 years to attend the next meet. laugh laugh laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
#50329 11/21/02 12:14 AM
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Yeah, and rotate areas each year! let the host area set everything up so that they can show off a little! :eek: chevy chevy ok

#50330 11/21/02 12:24 AM
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
That makes sense to me. Rotating the meets around the country will give more folks a chance to attend. Since 1986 all of the meets have been in or near the central time zone, which makes it cool for those dudes that live in that area, but it is a very long way to drive for the rest of us. :eek: :( laugh laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

#50331 11/21/02 04:02 AM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Fellas,

I certainly would enjoy seeing an annual national meet, but one is left to wonder if it might keep turnout lower on average than having them every five years? You have to admit that with a club of 8,700 members who gets together just once every five years, we have fairly poor attendance (450 or so at the 40th?).

Would having them more often dilute? I don't know. I would try to go every year.

- James

James W. Burnes

#50332 11/21/02 10:42 AM
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
James, That is one reason to have more meets on a National level, If we only had one every 10 years do you think that would improve the over all attendance?
Many members ,for one reason ot the other, find it diffucult to attend a meeting 1500 miles from where they live, and others find that the date and place of the 5 year meet is impossible to make for events that have to take a priority, business, important family events, illness etc. and if you miss one 5 year meet for whatever reason there is a 10 year gap between seeing some of your friends. More available meets may improve overall attendance . (JMHO)

chevy :rolleyes: yipp dance dance dance

#50333 11/21/02 11:11 AM
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
That's correct Macky Wacky! Take the Corvair club (sorry about that), but those dudes have a national meet every year (like most other car clubs) and considering that the Corvair club is smaller than the VCCA (they only have nine years of cars to deal with), they get a great turn out every year.

The early V-8 Ford club has three national meets every year......East Coast, Central and West Coast so that folks don't have to drive so far. And, every fifth year they have an "Anniversary" Meet (the other three meets are canceled that year) in Dearborn. They also have good turn outs at all three meets.

You are right Macky Wacky, a lot of dudes can't drive clear across the country for many reasons as you stated, and many fellows in our club have never been to a national meet because of it. I know of one fellow who was very excited to attend a national meet. He had his car all restored and ready to go only to find out that the meet was still almost four years away at that time. He was in his 70's, and he died before he could get to the meet, so his car was never shown. As you can see, he didn't have four years left to wait since he died a few months before the meet. Five years between meets is a very long time to wait for most of us...especially as we get older and older. :( :( :(

The Mangy Old Mutt

#50334 11/21/02 11:14 AM
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
We do have our yearly regional meets that make it possible for every one to attend each year..and in most situations with out traveling too far.Would more frequent anniverary meets take away from the regional meets?The location in a country as large as ours can be a problem but I have always been satisfied with the location,only missed the California meet in 1986.Sorry-for the east and west coast people.The anniversary meets require a lot of work as they are always first class and the same people seem to get stuck doing it. The five years seem to pass in a hurry so I don't think that should be changed.Its just as you get older you always wonder if you will still be around for the next meet. newangel

Gene Schneider
#50335 11/21/02 11:40 AM
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Regional meets are cool, and I have to been to many here in the Pacific Northwest, but you have to remember that something like 80 per cent of the dudes that belong to the VCCA don't belong to a region, and there are not regions everywhere in the country. For example, the closest region to me is 300 miles away. However, with that said, even though the regional meets are extremely cool and fun, there is still nothing like attending a national meet also. I have been a VCCA member for 32 years, and in that time I have only been to one national meet.......the one in 1986 on the West Coast......because I could drive there in a day. Mikey has been a VCCA member since 1962 or 1963 and he has only been to one national meet as well.....the one in California. Here are two dudes with 72 years of combined membership in the VCCA and both have only been to one national meet. Do we want to go? You bet!!! National meets are great and those dudes that put it on do a fantastic job...but neither one of us want to drive for three days in each direction to get there, and the cost is a factor as well. Of course, there are many fellows that have attended most of the national meets, and they would even it were held on the moon, but the majority of us can't do that. If the meets were held once a year or every two years, and rotated around the country, then the national meet would be close enough in a three or four year period where folks could drive there in a day.

As far as regional meets are concerned, when a national meet is held in that area, the regional meet could be canceld in that area for that year....or that region could help to put on the national meet as well. laugh laugh laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

#50336 11/21/02 11:45 AM
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Chev L. Nut That is a good point, It may be that we need to up-grade our Area's events to include a open (VCCA) meet and coordinate it with the other Areas so that they are rotated on a yearly basis, It may be that some regions would be able to put on a large meet and in other places maybe a couple of areas could have a "joint" meet. It is a task that may be too much for one group to do yearly, anyway.

Notice I awarded you an extra "L."?.... for Lug and Loyalty

#50337 11/21/02 11:50 AM
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
JYD,
I was typeing while you were ,it seems, I think we are both on the same page, just didn't say it the same....It is something our national board should be talking about, that is if they aren't already.
One more thing, Those members that don't belong to a Region and don't get to attend the National and Regional meets, don't have the opurtunity to speak out their wishes and have influance on the direction our Club is takeing. Maybe this site will give them a platform to have some influance.

Billy, I wish You could make the spell checkir work for dorques klike me.

#50338 11/21/02 02:58 PM
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I understand the desire of those of you to hold an Anniversary type meet every year. But there is one major problem. Where do we get the people to do the work? We have always had problems with getting qualified people to fill the postions. The 2006 Meet is no different. So far even with an appeal to the National Board to help identify qualified people to fill the major postions only a few have candidates identified. Except for National Board Members and Dean Echols, those were volunteers who came to me and asked what they could do to help (three) and me requesting a person be contacted by a friend (one).

Now if you all will volunteer to head a Committee or Function and find a bunch of your friends to help you we just might be able to pull it off.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
#50339 11/21/02 04:21 PM
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Ok Chip, Just find me a job. I have volunteered for several tours and meets and have never been contacted, maybe it is my deodorant? I don't care to stand around waiting for someone that has no clue what is going on and have to ask them "Let me help" I like to be assigned a job or duty and get started.

#50340 11/21/02 05:39 PM
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Very good point there Chipper Dipper........but other clubs (both larger and smaller than the VCCA) have national meets every year and they get the man power to do it...year after year after year. So, they must know something that we don't. Even the Corvair (sorry again) club does it every year. Are they more dedicated than we are in the VCCA? We need to find out their secret. :eek: :( :( :(

The Mangy Old Mutt

#50341 11/21/02 07:27 PM
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The Corvair Meets are more on the level of our regional meets.They are hosted by what we would call a region.A local group does all the work where as our ANIVERSARY meets are run by the The National board.The Corvair Club does have more members than the VCCA .Its no fun at the Corvair meets as all the car look alike.

Gene Schneider
#50342 11/21/02 08:30 PM
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I agree, it would be great to have more truly "national" Meets, and more often. Maybe a West Coast Meet, and then in 2 years, say, an East Coast Meet, and then 2 years and a Central Meet, whatever works.

I feel like I need to point out, though, that a "Regional National Meet" IS truly a national meet - it is hosted by some Region, true enough, but when you're talking about a NATIONAL Region Meet, the way that works is, each Area (made up of several Regions) is allowed to have one Nationally sponsored Meet in their Area each year. So some Region within the Area is the sponsoring Region. I think there are like 12 "Areas" that the country is divided up into, so there can be up to 12 National Meets each year.

Even an Anniversary Meet has some local Region that "sponsors" it.

But you don't have to be a member of the Region to attend or show your car at a National Regional Meet - it just means the Region is sponsoring a national meet in its geographic area - and the members of that Region are doing the work.

But, yeah, I'm sure voting in favor of having more major national meets! They're fun! And I like MrMack's idea, too - let's have our 50th Anniversary Meet (in 2011), and then have another blow-out in 2012 for Chevrolet's 100th!!! Yeah, that's a good plan!

For what it's worth.....

chevy

Chevy Guru
#50343 11/21/02 08:34 PM
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
The Corvair club has more members than we do in the VCCA? And that's only a 9 year run on cars and we cover Chevrolets from 1912 thru 1977! There's something wrong with this picture I would think. The last time that I checked, which was a few years ago, the Corvair club was still smaller than the VCCA. At any rate, the Corvair dudes have regional meets and a national meet and they have a lot of fun like we do (like the fan belt toss in Palm Springs), but if they can do a national meet every year, we probably could too. Anyway, it's something to talk about.

I agree with ChevyGuru on having a national meet more often than once every five years. Regional meets are scantioned by the national board, but they really should not be considered a national meet as such since a national meet entails a lot more than a regional meet does. For example, Northwest Meets are usually only two or three days, instead of five or six days, and part of one day is taken up with the judging. At any rate, ChevyGuru's idea works for me! laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

#50344 11/21/02 11:14 PM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
"Regional Meets" are meant to encourage participation from the general locality, and while sponsored by the national organization, is meant to serve the local area where the meet is located.

On the other hand, "Area Meets" serve as the yearly national meets, and it is their purpose to encourage members from a larger circle to attend on a yearly basis. These "Area Meets" were designed to have participation from large circles, such as the midwest, or northeast, or westcoast, or middlewest. In effect, these serve the function of yearly national meets, without the actual title of "National Anniversary Meet."

Perhaps the solution to having yearly national meets is to designate, on a rotating basis, an "Area Meet" also as the "National Anniversary Meet" to encourage participation, diversity its location, and increase exposure of the club.

This way...without any extra organization required, there can exist an annual "National Anniversary Meet" and one "Area Meet" would also benefit from increased national attendance from our membership.

Who would support this?

- James

James W. Burnes

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.