Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello,

I have the accessory "cat's eye" lighter for the 36 Chevrolet.

Where is this normally mounted on the dash--in this case a 36 standard FC?

Anyone have tips for mounting the lighter?

I've seen the picture in the repro accessories guide, but was wondering there were more exact specifications--for example, 2 inches to the right of the ignition switch and up on inch, or something like that.

Thanks!

"The cost of living hasn't affected it's popularity." - Mark Twain
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Are you sure that you have a 1936 lighter?The 1936 has a gray marbeled knob about 1 1/2" in diameter...It does have an "eye" in the center.

Most refer to the small chrome knob with "eye" in the center that was used from 1937-48 as a "cats eye"..This style has a well in the dash that the element fits into.The 1936 and older have a flush unit mounted on the dash.

Checked all my pictures etc. and can't find a 1936 with a lighter.

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Yep, it is the gray marbled knob about that size with a green "eye" in the center. It is used, but in very good condition. The hookup wire is there and in excellent condition. I assuming that the metal housing grounds against the dash since there is not a secondary ground wire--only the hot.

I can tell that a hole (mayby 1/4"--haven't measured exactly) needs to be drilled in the dash to flush mount it. So before drilling into a virgin dash, I wanted to be sure where it should go. The original accessories booklet for 36 shows a picture, but I was wondering if there anyone had measurments for where to put on the dash.

Since it was probably installed by the dealers, maybe they used a long lost template. Or maybe it varied in location.

Also, I have the accessory heat guage for the 36 standard installed--also used but works fine. I have it mounted in the radio control dial spot since the existing 2" hole in the dash is a perfect fit. I took an extra delete radio delete plate and drilled out a 2" diameter hole in it. The accessory manual shows the heat guage mount over to the left side of the dash, but I didn't want to drill a 2" hole there. Plus, other folks have said that the accessory gauge was often mounted in the delete plate--and it is an exact fit in the existing hole. So, after this rambling, I am not sure if the heat guage would be in the way if mounting the cigar lighter close to there.

Thanks for the information!

"The cost of living hasn't affected it's popularity." - Mark Twain

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.