Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
xxx Offline OP
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
While looking over the interior needs of my '32 the thought occurred to me that there aren't a lot of angles and such in the material. Also thinking that I might save some $$ I thought that maybe I could do the interior myself. I could get the material from a friend who owns a auto trim shop. wink

Has anyone here done their own interior work on a car/truck like the '32?? What was your experience like?? Would you do it again or buy from Hampton Coach and save the grief? Are there any books that would help me if I decide to do this myself. laugh

My current interior is good enough to use as patterns. So maybe this would make the task easier for me. ok

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
If you have experience in sewing heavy fabrics, a machine that will handle them and are able to sew a long straight line and tucks and gathers and ?? then you can save a bundle of $$$. It aint rocket science. If not you can waste a smaller bundle and then order from Hampton. My boss and soulmate did the upholsery for a '32 Coach many years ago. Her next project is the leather interior on our '19 FB Touring. We have a commercial sewing machine for the work.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
xxx Offline OP
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
How much would she charge for doing another '32? :cool2:

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Gator,
You don't want to think about what I payed for mine and I would insist on a little to boot. Don't think you could afford it.

She always told me that she didn't want a commercial sewing machine. I was lucky that I only paid $ 75 for it. I think I would have been "on the road", but she thought it was such a bargain that I got to stay. That is unless she likes you and does it for free. Sewed some '26 Roadster side curtains for a friend and didn't charge him anything. Even makes special sugar free treats for him. Guess that's another story.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
xxx Offline OP
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
.......hummmmmm....'special friend', sugar free treats, huh......not going to go there......

Maybe I can get my friend who owns a trim shop (and who has a lot of my $$ from other cars) to sew them up for me using the old stuff as a pattern.

Since Hampton doesn't list the cost for sets of interiors in their catalog, I had assumed it was a lot. Do you know the price? Maybe its' not as I assumed.

What exactly was used in the construction of the front seat? Layers of what? What order? :confused:

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Gator, like I said on the other thread, Dream on!
everyone loves a dreamer.

You would do yourself a favor by either calling or writeing Hampton Coach, that is probably the only place you will find the correct materials anyway and get samples and a price quote. They will sell you a kit that is "ready" to be installed or they will install it if you take the car in.
chevy dance dance dance ok

Post Script:
Gator, it is only money, what else would you do with your money invest it in the stock market?

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.