Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#489659 02/15/24 04:50 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Iam looking for information on decoding the chevrolet tag and the fisher body tag.
I believe I have a 1934 chevy two door master. It has no trunk. It was in pieces when I bought it off the farmers trailer at a rest stop in Texas,on its way to the crusher. He had pulled it out of his field.
It is basically a complete shell, less interior/windows and drivers door,or running gear.
Ihave put it back together and would like to research body tag numbers ect. It has a fisher body tag on the lower right cowl. I just could not stand to see it get crushed, so I have installed a 283 and three speed manual trans and s10 rear differential.
It’s basically garage art but it’s close enough to start looking for registration numbers but I feel thats harder than reassembling it.
Any ideas/assistance would be appreciated.
Thank you

UBBC
1 member likes this: Clement
Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
If the ID tag is present it will start with a number representing the plant where the car was assembled. The only ones I know off the top of my head are... 3 for St Louis, MO...5 for Kansas City, MO...21 for Janesville WI.
This number should be followed by the letters DA if the car is a 1934 Master. The Fisher Body tag will reveal the body style name and the original color of your car.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you for the information about the ID tag and body tag.The person I bought the car from gave that information on a piece of paper he had in case he needed it to scrap the car. However, both tags are missing from the car. I was wondering if there is listing of car numbers that may show their status, such as salvage or active.

UBBC
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I have never heard of such a list. What info did he give to you?

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I was given what he called the information from the chevrolet plate that was on a plate under the passenger side wooden floor board. 5DA12 and the car build number 16- - -. He tossed the wood from the car because scraper wouldn’t accept it , so he copied the numbers on a piece of paper in case he needed them to scrap it.
The fisher body tag i think was on the firewall said 34551. The car was associated with his family but had been placed in the pasture years ago in a low ditch. From the looks of the body I think it was resting on the drivers side against the bank because the door was rusted away along with left rear fender and part of the roof.
If I was to get far enough along to register it, I would like to keep the numbers he gave me, but if not possible, I can research another register method if available. If nothing is available, it is just yard/garage art. I just could not let it get crushed and enjoy working on it when I can.thank you for your help.

UBBC

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.