Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#488544 01/08/24 06:31 PM
Doug_L Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi to all,
I have a 33 Eagle most all original.

About to install new drag link parts, springs, plugs, cup disc etc.

The instructions from TFS that came with the parts shows the gear end of the drag link to have the "short"
distance from the ball stud hole to the end of the rod. About 1-1/4"
And the axle end has the "long" distance ball stud hole to the end of the rod. About 2"

The Chevy Repair Manual shows the exact opposite of the above rod orientation.

Also, what is the correct assembly of the parts themselves, as the two instructions are not the same?

Thanks to all, and hope this info and photo's makes sense.

Doug

Attached Images
33 eagle.jpg 33eagle 2 - Copy.jpg

Doug Ledonne
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I would rely on what Chevrolet offers unless there was a misprint or service bulletin showing different.

J Franklin
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
If you look at the photos of both.. closely, you will see that the 'Ball' comes into the drag link housing in different locations.. on either end... the little cupped discs, that embrace the ball, are located right next to the tightening screw,,, and the spring that creates tension, is always on the opposite side of the cupped discs as the screw...
I too would go with the repair manual photo... but It probably would not make any difference... the distance between the two locations being the same...

1934 Chevrolet Master sedan
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hi Doug

There is a long end and a short end so that the spring can be located on the "outer" side of one ball and "inner" side of the other.

As the Chev manual points out, this is done so one spring absorbs road shocks from one direction, and the other spring absorbs shocks from the other direction.

If there were no clearance issues, and the drag link was straight with no bends built in to it, it probably wouldn't matter which way you install it.

That said, I'd go with what the Chev manual says, as there is probably more open room for the long end in the steering gear area.

Last edited by Stovblt; 01/11/24 06:37 PM.

Ole S Olson
Doug_L Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks to all for your input.
I will reassemble per the Chevy manual.

Doug.

Doug Ledonne

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.