Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hey everyone,

I'm a brand new user to the VCCA chat and am looking for a solution to a problem for my Dad's truck. He has a 1946 GMC 1/2 ton with a 4-speed gearbox. I'm not sure if the transmission was one of the special order 4-speeds (I've heard this was an option for a 1/2 ton) or if it has been swapped out at some time in the past.

The problem began with him simply needing to replace a rope seal for a leak on the truck. When he tried to remove the enclosed driveshaft he realized the universal joint did not seem to be the correct one from the factory. A previous owner had welded a 17-spline bit to a non-stock u-joint to make it work. This particular u-joint has the circlips in it rather than caps and bolts and was 10-spline on both ends originally. My Dad said that he thought the original part had caps and bolts. The circlips were rusted in, making it impossible to disassemble, so he cut it off at the weld.

I'm trying to locate a univeral joint for a 4-speed that is 10-spline on the transmission side with a pressed on speedometer gear, and 17 spline on the driveshaft side. Do you guy's have any idea where I might find said part?

I would really appreciate any advice or info that you could provide.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

csmith78

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Welcome. I'll move this to a technical forum for you to get you a wider audience.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Welcome to Chat.
I'm sorry I did not see your post sooner but here is what I found.
I think the U-joint you need is GM part number 609531. I would check with Bob at Marxparts @ 715 652 2405.
There is one currently on eBay, if you search (U joint 609531), for $125 or make an offer. It is a Parco 540. These u joints do not come with the speedometer gear. You are expected to remove the gear from your old joint and press it onto the new one.
Other aftermarket Part numbers for your joint are:
Spicer 332-3X
Borg Warner 3T-2895
Republic C-1610
Precision 666
Lempco U-5B
None of these produced a result on eBay. These are numbers from 1956 so there could be newer or older numbers from these same manufacturers.
Good luck

Mike

Last edited by 35Mike; 12/30/23 11:51 AM.

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Mike,

Thank you very much for the information and contact number. It appears that the part you suggested on ebay is correct. I ordered it last night and will keep my fingers crossed.

Happy New Year!

csmith78

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.