Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
In a 1936 Chevy Master, the cooling system circulates water through the radiator and the engine. Overheating issues specifically arise during high-rev situations, accompanied by the development of a misfire. There are two potential culprits I suspect might be causing these problems: a leaking head gasket or rust accumulation in the water jackets.

Furthermore, the overheating tends to occur when the vehicle is at idle for extended periods, typically around 20 minutes, after reaching the working temperature of 180 degrees. It's worth noting that I've taken steps to address this issue, including thoroughly flushing the engine and radiator three times prior to the initial engine start. Additionally, I've confirmed that the thermostat is functioning correctly by testing it outside of the vehicle. any help or references. would be great. coolant is used right now. but changing to just water and a water lubricator/anti rust lubricant

coolant vs water

I just want to get on the road!!!!!

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
If you do a search on VCCA Chat you will find hundreds of posts similar to your situation.

Despite what someone would like to hear, no amount of water/air flushing will clean out a badly corroded block and head. The same goes for a radiator. There have been a few cases where extensive work using muratic acid or a product called evaoprust were successful.

The solution that works best for the radiator is to have it chemically cleaned at a shop. Some older radiators have large enough tubes that a thin rod can be pushed through them to clear them.

Short of have the engine block and head “hot-tanked” the process of removing the head and mechanically scrapping the passages can give good results. If things are really bad you can remove the casting plugs (frost plugs) and get every good access to the coolant passages.

Rusty

VCCA #44680

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.