Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#486191 10/14/23 11:35 AM
Midi Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have built a jig and reamer for line boring the bushings in 49-54 a third arms. I have been asked by another chevy owner if the power steering third arm uses the same pin, bushings, shims, and seals. From what I can see in my parts catalogs, there is only one part number for either the power steering or the standard steering assembly. Therefore I assume the overhaul of the power steering arm would be the same as the standard. Could one of you chevy sages please confirm my wild [bleeped] guess? Thanks for all your help.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Yes, that is correct.

Originally Posted by Midi
I have built a jig and reamer for line boring the bushings in 49-54 a third arms. I have been asked by another chevy owner if the power steering third arm uses the same pin, bushings, shims, and seals. From what I can see in my parts catalogs, there is only one part number for either the power steering or the standard steering assembly. Therefore I assume the overhaul of the power steering arm would be the same as the standard. Could one of you chevy sages please confirm my wild [bleeped] guess? Thanks for all your help.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The one that was diferent was the Corvette whcih had bearings.

Gene Schneider
Midi Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks again Gene, you are the best.

Midi Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
That is reassuring DRTYLER. I appreciate your response.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
as gene noted, the 53-63 corvette 3rd arm has a roller bearing instead of bushings used on the passenger car chevys 49-54. however, if you are fortunate enough to have the corvette 3rd arm laying in your parts bin, it will interchange with your passenger car. and you will never have to worry about worn out bushings common to the pass car 3rd arm. unfortunately, the corvette dealers charge a good deal of $ for the bearing type 3rd arm. mike mccagh

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
If I am not mistaken, there's more to do than just changing the idler arm. There also a bracket that is needed for Corvette idler arm. I think the tie rods and steering arms must be changed to prevent bump steer.

I have not had experience with this swap but I have been doing some research to make the swap later.

1951 styline deluxe sport coupe w/54 engine and power glide

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.