Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#485795 09/28/23 01:56 AM
HugoF Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi, I'm a new member.
A quick question:
I am restoring a 28 chevy national, and bought NOS valves for my 4cyl engine.
4 of them have the bowtie mark on the cup, and 4 do not, there is no numbers on valves to indentify them apart.
Which ones are exhaust, and intake?
Any info would be great.

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi Hugo,

Welcome to the VCCA's website!

I believe the same valves are used for both intake and exhaust. I suggest comparing your new ones to the old ones to make sure.

According to my parts book, the head of the valves for 1927 and earlier were 1 1/2" in diameter. The heads for the '28 valves were 1 21/32" in diameter.

FYI, I rebuilt the '28 engine that is in my truck Lurch in 2017 and that adventure is documented here: Resurrecting a '28 4 Banger

Grab a couple of cups and enjoy!

There is another great book that Ray Holland put together about his 1928 engine build. This document resides in our Technical Article list in the Members Only area of the main VCCA web page at vcca.org.

Getting access to these Technical Articles is just one of many good reasons to join the club.

In the meantime, these forums are a great place to get info about your project.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Hugo
Seeing I sell this stuff, I thought I would chime in on this. The OEM or NOS Chevy valves were the intake and exhaust valve size were the same are made to be used in either intake or exhaust. Some of the aftermarket or NORS valves made years ago were the same way but some aftermarket valves companies did make the intake and exhaust valves out of different materials. The intake valves were usually plain steel were as the exhaust valves were hardened steel or an alloy steel because of the exhaust heat. If the valve stem has the same part number stamped in them, a number proceeded by a V is an intake valve and a number with an S is an exhaust valve.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.