Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
good morning to all,
my son purchased a 1940 Chevrolet Convertible, when he engages the clutch, the rear end shakes a little, we were advised that the clutch arm needed adjustment, we even bought a new arm but the rear still shakes when taking off from first gear. any advise? i have done clutch changes on my 38, but this 40 since its a convertible has the "X" cross member, how do you drop the clutch? thanks

God Bless the USA
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
It might help,if we had more information about “the rear end shakes”. Do you mean the you feel a vibration in the chassis or that the rear axle of the car moves around?

The first area I would investigate is the motor and transmission mounts. Over the years they either become oil soaked and fail or brittle to the extent they break and separate from the steel mounting pads. The “shaking” is the movement of the engine and transmission in reaction to torque. .

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I suspect the trouble is in the clutch disc and possibly contributing factors with the cover and/or the pressure plate. The clutch cover is where the spring is located and where the pressure to the disc to flywheel obtained.

Rusty gave you a good starting point to trace out the basics of the easier things to chase.

The transmission on a 41 convertible (cabriolet) is a bitch to get out. It must be taken out from the floor access and must be tilted and turned in order to be removed. I suspect the 40 is about the same.

The parts are readily available for rebuilding the clutch and all that stuff. Those parts are all over eBay, et al. A machine shop can easily resurface the flywheel for you.

Now this here, right here, is the most important thing I'm going to tell you. Ready? Suggest to your son that he should order a maintenance/shop manual from a source such a Chevy of the Forties or Filling Station. It will prove to be invaluable as you work on the car from time to time. Those manuals are reproductions, are right on as the original and only cost about 20 bucks or so. A bargain.

Good luck with the car and know that there are many of us here on chatter that are willing to help figure our problems (trouble shooting) with the old Chevrolet.

Best,

Charlie computer

BTW: If your son intends to modify, hot rod, street rod, i.e. butcher the car then that may impede enthusiasm for assistance and interest from usums old "leave it as original mindset." I know it does for me. Not that we won't help if we can but we won't be throwing no parties and slapping him on the back for his poor choices. Just saying.

BTW2: Okay. I'm hunkered down here and just waiting for it because I know it's a-coming. Am too!

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
That is how old clutches show that they have had enough. How is the rear main seal? Maybe you have a very oily clutch.

My 1951 1 Ton is now on the road! My 38 Master 4 Door is also now on the road .
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hope you got your flak jacket on Charlie---protect you from the shrapnel---LOL !!! Just kidding of course---it's all good ......P.S.---His kid might just be 60 !!!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.