Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#46821 10/30/02 01:20 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
My 30 Chevy has been in primer for 16 years.
some parts were not even primed. I have some surface rust. I am going to take it all back
to bear metal. My paint supply house has reccomended a primer by Clausen called
ALL- u Need . it is an etch primer an a high
build all in one. He says it has become very popular. Anyone heard of it? What do you think?

#46822 10/31/02 06:19 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello Paul-

I am not familiar with Clausen All-u-need, so I can't give a recommendation. I agree that an acid etch primer is a very smart way to go, but I'm not sure about using one that claims to be high build because you might be eliminating a very important step... sealing . In the PPG system, that I have used with great results, they recommend first an acid etch primer, sealed by an epoxy primer, and then followed by the sandable primer, if necessary. I would think that if you accidentally sanded through the "All-u-need", you would be in a bare metal situation again, leaving the integrity of your paint job in doubt.

I know this doesn't address your question directly, but I didn't want you to think we were ignoring you! :)

Speedline

"Life is completer in a boat!"

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.