Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Howdy,

I am close to attempting to start my engine in my 1934 truck once I receive my rebuilt carb back and only need to install the ignition switch I bought at Napa. This leads me to my question, what wires go where on the back of this switch? It has 3 posts and only one is labeled "bat".

Warm regards

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
So I’m assuming this isn’t the electrolock switch with accompanying coil, which is all good to get it running and can be dependable long term as well. I assuming it has a start feature? I’m guessing that’s where the three attachment points are (I can’t recall an on-off style aftermarket key switch with an accessory position). If both of the non-battery posts are hot full time you can do whatever you wish.

Run the battery terminal to you ammeter for heat - the battery side. I run my brake light off one of the switched terminals as well as your wire to the hot side of the coil. If you are all fancy and wanting a fuel gauge and such things to work they can go off that same post as well.

I ran my 35 for many years this way running it daily before I got the correct coil to replace the inoperable one still attached to the truck. It is cool to have all of the original materials working in harmony, but it sounds like you have lots of tinkering to do and can gather parts to set it up as original after you hear the engine ticking along for the first time.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I went with a switch from Napa since finding an electrolock would've been tough to find quickly. As I mentioned, I am not too far from trying to start the engine. I am electronically handicapped, but your instructions seem straight forward. I will take a glance today and let you know if I have any further questions. Thanks Leapin.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.