Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#46414 02/27/02 10:10 PM
Oldie Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Can anyone give me suggestions or hints on how to restore license plates so that a clean crisp appearence between the base color and the numbers color can be obtained? This is a neat pair of 1962 Michigan plates that have the prefix GM. If I don't stay away from the bead blast cabinet pretty soon, there will nothing left of them. Thanks!

rod Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
A couple suggestions for you Oldie. I don't know exactly where you are at but if you get your plate painted the white background find a sign shop that can re-letter it for you. Or send me an e-mail and I'll give you a price to do it. [Sign painters are kinda obsolete,since the computer took over.]

rod
Oldie Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Rod, thanks for the information. I saw that you were on line and though you might respond. I'll send you an e-mail and if the price is right, I'll bring them to the next LMR meeting. Dick

rod Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Dick, sorry, I didn't know who I was responding to. Yeah bring the plate[s] when you get them ready and I'll letter them for you.

rod
Oldie Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Thanks Rod, we'll get together. These plates are for the wife of my ex-boss at GM. They live just up the street and we exchange taking care of each others pets when we're out of town. She just bought a '63 Corvair two door with a puffer (turbo) engine just like she had in 1963. She knows nothing about the hobby and I told her to hold off on the license plates until I could get these originals restored.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Oldie, here is the web address of a fellow who does a great job of plate restoration and the price for the work is not bad.

http://www.darrylsplates.com\ chevy

See the USA in a Vintage Chevrolet
Oldie Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
29chevy-

Thanks for the License plate restoration information. I added the site to my Favorites for future reference.

Dick

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Hey 29chevy: I just checked out the web site on the fellow that has the license plate restoration service. For the complete job (including major repairs) that he does, his prices are the most reasonable that I have found. Thanks for the web site....that dude is great to know about! laugh laugh Agrin

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
JYD, he did my 29 Calif plates and Calif is real tough on the color matching for restored plates and they wanted to know if they had ever been used on a car. Nice work for the money.

Kirk chevy

See the USA in a Vintage Chevrolet
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Ya, you can't beat it and his work appears to be top quality! I've got that dude bookmarked on my computer! Thanks for the info! :) laugh :)

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.