Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi I'm new to this board, and I have a problem, I am not knowledgeable enough about the electrical system on my '72 Chev. c20 custom camper. It is presently not charging on the guage in the cluster, I don't know if the original alternator has ever been changed but there is a regulator on the rad support. I would like to change the charging system to a 1 wire and get rid of the regulator. Could someone out there help me out. Thanks

grease monkey, my foot
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Does the battery stay charged? What is the battery voltage with the engine off vs. the battery voltage when the engine is running? The system voltage with a fully charged battery, headlights on and engine running should be about 14 volts.

If you have old Chevrolets, other old Chevrolets will find out where you live.
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Post Preview
Hello excssnrgy... If you want to change over to a one wire system , you will need to get a later model alternator that has the self-contained voltage regulator. You will also need the connector that plugs into the newer style alternator with its jumper wire that goes from the regulator to the "Bat" terminal on the alternator. Take the connector off of the regulator that is on your radiator support and remove the wire that is marked "Bat or B+". This will connect to the "Bat" terminal on the rear of the new alternator. Next remove the wire that is marked "F". This is your Alternator field wire. This goes to the new connector terminal that is marked "F". You will have to change the terminal connectors on the old "Bat" and "F" wires. If you have a problem trying to tell which wire is which; take a 12 volt test light and find the hot wire with the key off. This is your "Bat' terminal. Your field wire will be a thin wire that is hot with the key on. If your field wire isn't hot with the key on then stop and find out why. Your test light might glow dim and your idiot light on the dash may glow dim too. Blown fuse, broken or loose wire etc.could be your problem. Good luck ...

Steve

Steve
'25 Superior "K", '79 Corvette , '72 Corvette LT-1 & 1965 Corvette Coupe
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
thanks Steve, I appreciate the come back, and the information, I will print it out and keep it while I do the work on this old truck. I have a few friends that are mechanics, but they don't have the time to help me out. So thanks again. I will let you know when I have it working right. Take care . Andre/excssnrgy

grease monkey, my foot
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The internal regulated Delco alternator is a great piece of equipment. Likewise the original system on your truck is no slouch. I have personally driven 1971 and 1972 Chevy pickups (one each) about 250,000 miles and only replaced one alternator and possibly one regulator. I would not go to the trouble of changing if it were me. If your original wiring harness is intact and in good condition, I would especially not want to make the change.
Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Same here! I have both a 1968 pickup and a 1972 pickup. I have owned the '68 for 33 years and the '72 for 31 years. Both are still going strong and the alternators and regulators on both trucks have never been touched! yipp laugh laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
1 members (swedechev), 78 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.