Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
I have a 48 Chevy Sportmaster with the correct accessory turn signals. With the standard taillight bulbs the stop lights and turn signals could hardly be seen. I bought brighter 6 volt bulbs and installed. Lights are much brighter.

Problem: With the headlights / tail lights on the tail lights are bright. You can hardly tell the difference in the brakes and tail lights. Turn signals don't work at all. Turn off the lights and turn signals work great.

Any possible ideas. I would like the lights to work correcly for around town. I have auxillary lights that I plan to use for road trips.

Thanks in advance.

Member 45+ years, been around since the beginning !
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
If the tail lights are brighter than the brake lights then you have a wiring problem as the brake lights should be bright enough to override the tail lights. Check and see which element in the bulb is burning, with brakelights it should be the larger. Also with headlights, taillights on and a foot on the brake turning on one brake light the problem is probably low voltage, normally making a turn the engine speed thus generator out put is much lower. A check for good grounds would also be in line.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.