Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I have a 1947 radio I am now planning to fix and mount in my 1941 Master Deluxe. This car has never had an external antenna mounted on it and I would prefer not to have to drill any holes etc. What would be an good internal antenna for this? Can I just use a wire loop like on my home receiver?

Also I plan to bench test this as it is in unknown condition. Wil the wire loop work for that?

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
For bench testing you can use a piece of by hookup wire at least six feet long. Just bare about 1/4 “ and insert it into the middle hole of the antenna connector. If the wire is too thin just double it over. This has nothing to do with what you want to do inside the car.

My 1951 1 Ton is now on the road! My 38 Master 4 Door is also now on the road .
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

I suggest you look for a correct 1941 radio for your car. They are plentiful. I can help you with a radio.

As to the antenna, you will not be satisfied until you mount a cowl type antenna on your car.

For bench testing, a small screwdriver, held in your hand, will provide an antenna for testing. Do NOT try to use a battery charger to power a radio for testing.

If I can be of further help, send me a PM.

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
What is a cowl type antenna? Do you have any pictures? I am familiar with the modern FM antennas used. I really do not want to drill any holes in the body. This car never had a radio but one was included with all of the parts we received.

I wont be using a battery charger to bench test this. I have a DC power supply with variable output that is designed for testing electronics. Other option is I will just run a fused cord from the 6 volt battery in the car to my bench. It is currently disconnected and on a trickle charger.

This is not a show car it is a father son project so for now we are working with the parts we have to stay on budget. The radio was not in our plans until we found out the one we have could be fixed. My son has this marked as his project so I am letting him run with it.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

Altho I recommend against the installation of the 47 radio in the 41 car, I can recomend someone to restore your radio if you need help.

RAY

Chevradioman

1925 Superior K Roadster
1933 Eagle, Coupe

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
From what i understood the 47 and the 41 radios both will fit in the dash without modification. Is there something I am missing? What issues might I have placing the 47 radio in the 41?

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

I don't mean to be critical of your plan. If you are happy with an accessory from another year, go for it. It could always be a conversation piece.

devil Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman

1925 Superior K Roadster
1933 Eagle, Coupe

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by AntiqueMechanic
I don't mean to be critical of your plan. If you are happy with an accessory from another year, go for it. It could always be a conversation piece.

devil Agrin

I know you where not being critical. This is a father son project with a goal of we do the work and get everything going. Unfortunately we are not professionals and have a budget. Perfection / a show car is not the goal, a car that we can say we did that together is. So far the goal is on track. :)

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Ray,
Other than to point it out, I will not comment further on the smugness that oozed from your post.
It is unlikely that a '47 radio in their '41 Chevy will be a "conversation piece" since fewer than one in one million observers would know the difference.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
ChatMaster - 1,500
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,500
Mr87Monty, Congrats on having such a fun project with your son! What you do together now will always be special to both of you! Have fun with your '41 Chevy, enjoy! My sons and even grandsons are grown but I will always cherish the time I spent with them and I think they feel the same.
Best wishes!

Ed
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Mike,

I think Ray was merely trying to point out that although the 47 radio is incorrect for the 41 it will fit right in but that a 41 radio may be a better choice in the long run. Nothing more. After all Ray repairs old 6-volt Chevrolet radios and has several/many of them depending on the year and type/style. I don't think he meant to come across as if in a smug manner or try to bring pressure on the owners choices. i know that if it were me, I would appreciate the suggestion of using the correct radio in the project car no matter the budget. Besides a 41 radio looks better. dance Agrin

I currently have a 47/48 radio in my 41cabriolet and can definitely tell you that it is not going to stay in it. I would prefer a delete plate rather than the incorrect radio. I have the correct radio(s) but, as Mr87. I have to bench test whichever one i'll install. The 41-48 were good radios and generally speaking they usually only need either/or a OZ4 or a viberator (sp) to work. The problem with a 41 five-tube is the push buttons. They deteriorated badly while the 47/48s have continued to hold up quite well. The replacement push buttons for the 41 leave quite a bit to be desired. I think.

As to the identification by one in a million goes, I doubt there are many of us that can tell you the difference between a 47 and 48 push button type without peeking at the tag on its bottom side. Nonetheless, if I had a 48 installed in a 47, I would be on the hunt for the 47 to swap out.

To keep this on thread I offer the following:

a, The 47 radio will fit right in. It is the same dimensions in size.

b. I don't think there is a good alternative for the antenna other than drilling a hole in to cowl and installing a suitable antenna.

c. As for testing, an antenna would be best but as Ray has posted a piece of suitable wire will suffice.

Best,

Charlie computer

BTW: If there is any smugness in this thread I would say that it placed at my doorstep. As with Ray, however, that was not my intent. While there was no smugness was intended, in my defense then if I came across with that flavor, let me say that. over the years, I have paid through the nose for what I have obtained for my 41s. None of of it ever came cheap and in most cases was far from being affordable at the time. Back in the early seventies there was a saying regarding buying parts for the old Chevrolets: "You can pay too soon but you can't pay too much." It is what it is. dance

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.