Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I just got my 1948 Fleetmaster and noticed a small oil leak under the flywheel cover. It is oil not transmission fluid. Upon further examination, I noticed the previous owner tried to screw a sheetmetal screw in the pan hole but it did not fit well and the pan still leaked. I took the pan off and noticed there was no gasket, just 4 screws holding it in place.

Should it be a gasket?
Should the hole be left open to drain oil?
Should I be worried?

I understand a possible fix would be to install a rope seal, does the engine has to come out for that? if not what is involved?

Thanks

Jacques Grandjean

Everyone is born right handed only the greatest overcome it...
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The pan is onlt to keep stones out of the flywheel and clotch and no gasket is used. The hole should be open to allow any oil leaking from the rear main to escape. Yes, the rear main seal should be replaced.
do a search here for ideas.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Jacques,

Don't rush into dealing with your rear seal leak. Most cars from the 40's have the leak. If the puddle is over a couple of inches in diameter then it should be eventually addressed. You need to become familiar with your new car and look for more obvious concerns like the condition of the brakes, engine noises, transmission shifting, steering, etc. Replacing a rear seal is like having open heart surgery it can be very expensive as well as putting your car out of commission for a long time. Make a list of repairs you think might be needed then take on those that might be the easiest to solve. Repair only one thing at a time and stay in contact with the previous owner for what work he has done and his advice.

Good luck, and thanks for buying a Chevy.

Mike

P.S. Park in the road when visiting friends and the leak will never be an embarrassment.

Mike 41 Chevy
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Mike,

I agree wholeheartedly with you. For now it is a lot cheaper to add oil than to pull the engine. I changed the oil and added 8 oz of ATP re-seal stops leak and now the leak is now gone. I have replaced all fluids and the car runs great. Next on the list is to redo the rear brakes and adjust the parking brake that freewheel and flush the brakes...New parts are on the way...

Jacques Grandjean

Everyone is born right handed only the greatest overcome it...
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
There is not a seal in a 1948 engine made from neoprene that a seal sweller will work on except the front timing gear seal if t has been replaced with a later neoprene seal....the original was leather.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Jacques,

All above is good advice. Reality:

a. The old 216a have three phases of oil escaping the rear crankshaft seep: leak and then pour.

b. First phase just put dry stuff like they sell at parts stores under it. Be careful where you park.

c. Second phase get a pan to go under it. Be mindful of where you park.

d. By the third phase you can't park anywhere. At every bump in the road you are heavily contributing to the dark spot. Time to bit the bullet and consider overhaul/rebuild.

e. Search on the Chat here and follow Gene's advice on installing the pan gaskets.

Good luck with it and don't worry about it until it reaches the third phase.

Best,

Charlie computer

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks Charlie, I can count on you for a good chuckle !

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Yes, you will need to replace the rear main seal. The flywheel cover will only collect the leaking oil.

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Aeroman,

The cover has a hole in it and so will not collect anything.

I'm just messing with you. I know what you meant.

Best,

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I thought they put the hole there so you knew where to set the catch pan!

Rusty

VCCA #44680

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.