Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#45307 05/31/04 07:30 AM
blue73 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi,
A good friend of mine has converted his 1940 **** p.u. to 12 volt and is having a problem with it quitting when it gets warm, as far as we know all has been done right, changed bulbs, put 12v armature in the generator, 12v coil with external resistor,new condensor,etc. I know it's a **** but we are both Chevy guys too, he also has a beautifully restored 1954 Corvette. Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. It acts like something is getting hot and causing the problem but when it bothers the coil feels cool.
Thanks
John

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I would replace the condensor first. If that does not do it then check the ignition switch. Finally replace the coil. My experience with those other brand vehicles also suggests to make sure the wire inside the distributor is not grounding against the center shaft. I walked several times until I found that problem.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Have you checked the fuel pump, those old flatheads with the fuel pump on top of the engine were very bad to vapor lock

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
blue73 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
It has an electric fuel pump and we checked for fuel press. beside the road and that was fine, appears to be electrical. How many volts should be at the coil?, we checked this morning and have 13 volts on the batt side of the resistor and 9 volts coming out of there going to the + side of the coil, the side going to the dist has 5 volts, is that too much and possibly heating something up ?

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Jump the resistor and take it for a spin. Don't let it idle too long with the resistor jumped as it will overheat the coil.

If you decide you have a coil problem, purchase a coil with internal resistor and get rid of a lot of problems and extra wiring.

(Jumping a resistor. With a piece of wire connect it to one end of the resistor. Take the other end of the wire and connect it to the opposite end of the resistor.)

Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

blue73 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks guys, we found it, the generator was not putting out enough, finally during the time messing with it it quit completely we tried jumping the resistor and it ran great with the battery voltage, I guess it needs 14.5 plus volts to the resistor to get enough to the dist., what a difference, I wouldn't have believed that 1-2 volts would make such a difference,
Thanks again
John

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.