Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#452792 01/11/21 02:08 PM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I would like to hide 2 USB outlets in my 1941 Chevy Master Deluxe. One to power a Bluetooth speaker in the dash and the other to charge a phone in the glove box to run music to the Bluetooth speaker. Could this be done by mounting a standard 12v socket under the dash and inserting a normal USB adapter into it? I know this drops 12 volt to 5 volt and outputs the correct amps. Will this drop the 6 volt to 5 volt correctly and properly reduce the amps?

My thinking is I have music on my phone and can even get radio over the internet now. All I need is the speaker as the dash has a spot for it already. Seems like an easy solution that no one would see. Anyone else do a similar thing? There is a cigarette lighter socket in the dash but the wiring to it is bad and I have no idea what the amps are that it puts out.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I don't see one. Getting the regulation needed with only one Volt drop is difficult.
If you're willing to do a little work, you can go to Ebay and buy a "buck boost" regulator.
There are many. You need 6V in, 12V out, at about 5Amps. You'll likely see something like 3-30V in. As long as the input range includes six, you're ok.

Put it in a little box, with a cigarette lighter socket, and away you go.
Learn to use the supply by hooking up and lighting some lamp bulbs first.
Obviously, you could use your lighter receptacle for the 6V input, but it would be neater to keep it all in the glove compartment.

WL

Wilson
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Using a step-up connected to a standard cigarette lighter socket is the simple and easy way to solve your problem. I put one in my 38 to power my GPS while on tour.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by Tiny
Using a step-up connected to a standard cigarette lighter socket is the simple and easy way to solve your problem. I put one in my 38 to power my GPS while on tour.

I think I will probably go with the converter then. Since I have to rewire the current cigarette lighter I will make that 12 volt for the phone and a second lead for the USB speaker. A single Bluetooth speaker mounted in the stock speaker location should be more than good enough for what I am looking to do.

The GPS mention gave me the idea to just convert the lighter socket. Thanks for triggering that idea.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Research the specifications of your particular GPS. Some of the input voltage ranges go as low as 5v but can obviously vary by manufacturer.

I recall someone pointing out that they connected their GPS right to the 6v system and it was happy as can be...

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Several of us have powered devices with a 6 volt source. Seems that most device power cords have the capability to use either 6 or 12 volt input.

You can also buy a 12 volt rechargeable gel cell or power pack or whatever else they might call it. We have used one to power our phones, gps, etc. Have to charge it about once a week as most of the modern electronics doesn't draw much power.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
read many post where people install a 6V to 12V step up booster or Voltage Step Up Regulator, step up converter. looks like there are many of them out there neg ground & pos ground. varying amps out. people use them to run gps, radio, chargers, etc...

something like this: DIGITEN DC 6V 5-11V to 12V 10A Step up Converter Regulator Waterproof Boost Power Module

also saw this from Snyder's : USB CHARGING PORT

also seen adapters where you can charge from a dewalt tool battery... PoweriSite USB Power Source for DeWalt

many options out there, and tons of discussions about it. there are many 6v cars out there and people doing the same thing.

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks for the idea of using the power tool batteries. I have Bauer tools and they make an dual USB adapter for under $20. Placing that in the glove box would solve everything. Or better yet I could make an under seat mount and run long wires to where I place the phone and speaker. I have the jobsite radio and it runs for hours on the small battery.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.