Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I need some guidance. I have a 72 K-20 with a 350 small block, 1406 Edelbrock carburetor and the stock mechanical fuel pump. The engine is running a little rough at idle and the exhaust smells rich. I tested the fuel pressure and it bounces from 8-9 psi (seems high for a mechanical fuel pump).

I searched the site for guidance on a deadhead fuel pressure regulator and there seems to be conflicting information. Some say a deadhead pressure regulator will damage the mechanical fuel pump.

What’s the best option for a regulator or should I go in a different direction?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Welcome to Chatter
If the engine is running rough and smells rich at the exhaust the 1st thing I would do is to adjust the idle mixture screw (maybe hidden behind a small plug). If that is not successful lift the top and check the needle, seat and float.

The mechanical pump pressure is determined by the spring under the diaphram which (if I am thinking of the correct pump) is a non servicable type. You could put a regulator in the system but is only masking the real problem temporarily.

Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.