Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#44639 06/15/02 10:12 AM
Leo Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I just assembled a generator that was all apart and when I started the car the output was greater than the 20 amps. Moved the 3rd brush to the limit and the lowest setting is about 18 amps :confused: :confused: The generator that was on the car has a tab to set the 3rd brush and works fine, but is the wrong generator. laugh Has anyone run into this problem :confused:

#44640 06/15/02 10:36 AM
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Hey Leo! We need some additonal information. What is the model number of the generator that you are using and is it going on your 1932? If you already know that you have the wrong generator then you have answered your question about its output because different models have different outputs due to the armatures and the field coils that are installed, based upon there intended applications. Anyway, on the 943 J generator, the output should be about 15 amps with the third brush 3 and one half com bars apart from the main brush. If you cannot get the output down, then you probably have the wrong armature in the generator. This is common an I run into this all the time. Each armature is wound for a specific application and output, therefore, if the wrong armature is installed for your application, you cannot get the correct output at the correct setting of the third brush. :confused: :confused: :confused:

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
#44641 06/15/02 11:38 AM
Leo Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Hi JYD, I can't say for sure as this generator was sitting in a box of spare parts that I picked up somewhere. Someone had tried to remove the pulley and of course broke it. There was also a good pulley in the box....Sooo the gears started to move in the direction of lets save this dude. Checked and turned the armature, new bearing in the front, installed the good pulley, assembled it with a new paint job and installed it. Fired it off, checked the amp guage and it was pegged. Checked it with another amp guage that I layed on the lead and it showed 25 amps. I'll get back to it later and make sure I show 3 or 4 coms on the brush and if so will change the armature and see what happens...Thanks Pal wink wink

#44642 06/15/02 07:26 PM
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
When you change the armature, make sure it is the correct one for a 943 J generator or you will have the same problem. laugh laugh :eek: :eek: laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.