Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
BBB Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
We had a good club discussion on this topic. And, yes, you can replace the generator with the higher amp alternator if you reallyfeel that you need the extra juice. See the club's meeting minutes at Puget Sound Region\'s web site .

Posted here for general info.

----- Bill Barker, Issaquah, WA

Bill Barker, Issaquah, WA
http://1931chevrolet.com
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
While I agree that the change to a 60 amp generator is possible I would add a caution for anyone attempting this change. First, all the wires in the car are designed to work with the lower current flow so in theory all the main branches, wires that distribute current to any of your new electric users, should increase in diameter. This will allow the wire to carry the same current as before you added the new electrical device and the additional current draw of this new device. So depending on where you tap into the old wiring system will determine how much wire is effected.

If you really need 30 amps to power a whole array of new electrical equipment, it might be a better idea to convert the system to 12 volts. Since the power a device consumes is the voltage times the current, doubling the voltage of the system will half the current flow. This will allow you to use the same wires but will require resistors to reduce the voltage at each of the old 6 volt devices.

If you need to go to 12 volts and 60 amps I would consider a newer model car or a new wire harness.

Increasing the current through an old, frayed wire is dangerous and could start a fire. I would fuse any new device and it wouldn't hurt to fuse all the old ones either.

Brian

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (Skidplate, Jonjet, Dave39MD, 1 invisible), 55 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,057
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.