Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
37Blue Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Old Blue has developed a small leak at the connection between the radiator hose and water pump. I tried tightening the hose clamp and stopped most of the leak. I am concerned about over-tightening the clamp and cracking the water pump. Any guidance will be appreciated. Can some type of sealant be applied without causing other problems? The hose was replaced by the previous owner maybe 3 or 4 years ago. It appears to be in good shape.
Thanks, 37Blue

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tightening the clamp will not break the water pump casting.I have never used a sealant for hose connections.Depending on what type of clamp you have - I would tighten as much as possible.If it still leaks I would replace the hose and the clamps and inspect the metal outlet for pits, etc.I find its better to retighten when hot as the hose is softer.
Are you sure that its the hose that is leaking and not the water pump seal.

Gene Schneider
37Blue Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Chevgene:
Thanks for the reply. I'll double check, but I'm pretty certain the leak is at the hose connection. I was not sure how strong the casting would be and didn't want to end up creating additional problems. I'm trying to get Old Blue ready for a local car show this weekend.
Thanks again.
Blue37

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
37 Blue
An easy way to check if it is the hose or water pump, with engine stopped hold a piece of mirror under the area you suspect. You will see the trail of moisture or possibly rust from the highest point. If it only leaks when hot run the engine till hot then shut the engine down and hold mirror into position.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
37Blue Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Tony:
Thanks for the tip. I inspected it again last evening and found the source to be where I thought it was. I tried tighening the clamp more and the leak persisted. I think I'll change out the hose and clamp. I am thinking now the hose has a small rupture. The hose on closer inspecion may be older than I thought.
37Blue

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
37Blue:
It may not be the hose that is leaking. Check the condition of the water pump, especially for pitting. I've had success using epoxy to fill in the pits that develop in the outlets on water pumps, thermostat housings and radiators. You'll need to clean the metal surface by grit blasting, wire brushes, emory cloth, etc. and then mix up a two-part epoxy and apply it to the outlet. After it sets up sand it smooth and you'll have a smooth mating surface that the hose will fit snugly over...leak free!

Coach

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.