Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#443008 05/21/20 10:10 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I recently had the fuel tank on my ”˜48 professionally cleaned inside and out. Should I now use a tank sealer such as POR 15 or other to internally seal this tank? Also, I plan to paint the outside with Rustoleum primer and finish with Rustoleum black satin finish. Are these color choices proper?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I used a company named Renu to restore my tank. They did a wonderful job with transferable guarantee. I added a link for you. http://www.gastankrenu.net/

ChatMaster - 1,500
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,500
Can't recommend a sealer but the tank would not be black. The tank would be a zinc (silver) color. The straps that secure the tank are black.

Russell #38868
'48 4 door Fleetline
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks, good to know! I’ll save the black paint I bought for another project. Still trying to decide if I need to seal the tank.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
there are many posts about the pros & cons of sealing a fuel tank. It is one of those practices that sounds great in theory.

There are people who have had good results and those who have had disasters. The limitation is that if the sealer does not adhere to 100% of the internal tank surface it quickly becomes a disaster. Fuel gets between the tank and sealer. Then the sealer will come off in pieces. The larger pieces will clog the tank outlet. Very small pieces will possibly get into the fuel lines and will try to move through the fuel pump and into the carburetor.

My preference was to not seal the tank in my '37. I am satisfied with that decision. I do get some fine rust colored particles that collect in the fuel filter I installed at the tank outlet. The filter has a clear housing so I can easily monitor it and change it before there are any problems.

As I said, there are those who have had great results with no issues for many years.

Rusty

VCCA #44680

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.