Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#435157 12/02/19 08:41 AM
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Mike, I did the "Search" but didn't find anything relating.

Questions:

a. What is the best brand of safety switch to use for interrupting the flow of juice from the battery"

b. Where is the best place to mount it?

c. Is this a points deduction item?

d. If you have a fire do you try to put out the flames first or try to ignore the fire and pull the hood latch, open the hood, go to the trunk and search for a suitable wrench for the battery cable, ruth back to the battery, take a cable loose and then attend the fire which by is out of control. Whilst roasting the marshmallows call 911 and ask the dispatcher they want to attend your little party.

I have a quick release on the negative terminal of the battery now. It works so well that I carry a coat hanger and package of marshmallows with me at all times. Also, I leave the positive cable loose enough that I can eliminate the trip to the trunk and search for a suitable tool.

Fire extinguisher? If you're fast enough you may be able to save it but the marshmallows may come first.

i have had two under the dash fires on my 41s. Panic time!

Any help would be appreciated. Maybe a check list of what to do if a fire occurs anywhere on the car? Be sure to include all the stuff for making smors.

Best,

Charlie computer

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hey Charlie, I have a '83 surburban that tried to light itself on fire 2 times. I think the third time i will let it go. Hendo

ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Hendo,

I thought I would get some responses and suggestions on this issue but nothing so far.

I guess I'm the only one who is interested in this matter. Go figure.

Get you some marshmellows for the next time that critter catches on fire. Agrin

Best,

Charlie computer

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
This subject was done to death on the AACA, but I can't seem to find the thread. Disconnects are trouble. I want one too, for the reasons you mention, but I have seen so much trouble with disconnects I cringe at the thought. Maybe get a big Cole-Hersee. That is what they use on fire trucks, and it is probably as good as it gets. Go high on the current rating, in the hope that there will be less loss in the switch. 6 volt cars need good solid connections.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
The first area I would "fireproof" would be the existing wiring itself. Make sure the wiring is in excellent shape with no cracking on the insulation. If in doubt, replace the wiring. A new harness properly installed should almost eliminate your risk completely of electrical causing a fire. Yes, you could install a battery disconnect to prevent issues during storage but only good wiring will protect you while driving.

The second area is fuel. Avoid running without a proper air filter assembly as a backfire can cause a fire if there is no air filter assembly. Get rid of plastic fuel filters and stick to metal. Avoid rubber fuel lines and repairs - fix the fuel line properly with new lines and metal fittings.

Extinguisher can help but you need at least a 5 pound extinguisher and it must be easy and quick to get to.

I have looked at Halon type bottle systems that mount under the hood. Heat activates the halon discharge and even a 5% halon to air mixture will reduce the oxygen enough to put out a fire. The concern is that it still needs a fair amount of heat to trigger it so there will still be damage but would eliminate a total loss.

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
You never can have too many safety features on these cars! Here are a few pictures of my new Roadster build! Plus I added a power shut off switch and a battery tender that all I need is to plug it in! Oh the power disconnect switch also has a key that can be removed! Rory

Attached Images
D21B95E8-9BEE-41BC-B1C6-ADC713C6970C.jpeg 92BAEA20-7F21-4161-B6B8-89A732C60A30.jpeg
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Thanks for all the responses.

All the advice was excellent.

Mainly I was looking for one of those cowl mounted switches near the battery so that power could be eliminated quicker than loosening the battery cable.

Seems there was one or two out there that were better than others. I want to know which is best and if there are any points deducted because of the switch. dance

Thanks again,

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
On a '41 Cadillac coupe I used to have I used a heavy duty battery disconnect switch similar to that shown on ebay #201786164521. I mounted it on the firewall under the dash, near the heater. The switch is in the engine bay next to the battery and the switch handle is inside the car under the dash where it is easy to get to when the car is moving. I figure that anytime I suddenly have a fire it will be while I am on the road. With this arrangement I can turn of the juice before I even stop the car, much less open the hood. You run one of the cable to the switch and then from the switch to the battery. I make all the cables, 00 gauge, to the precise length(s) needed.

I plan to do the same on the '41 Chev coupe I am now working on. Now that I think about it, I may try to find a place for a fire extinguisher under the hood, to supplement the one that I have right behind the driver's seat. When I make the cables for the Cad I bought the cable and ends at Carquest. I'm not certain where I will get the stuff this time.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.