Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#436755 01/07/20 08:03 PM
Stovblt Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hi
I would like some information regarding the “long bracket” rear view mirror used on Chevrolet trucks at least from 1941 to 1946. My 1946 ¾ ton has 2 holes in the upper frame of the driver’s door which look to be exactly where they should be for the above mirror. I’m thinking the easiest way to plug them would be to find one of these mirrors. But nobody seems to list them either reproduced or otherwise, only the “short bracket” hinge mounted mirror. I’ve never seen one of these on a truck in Canada, or the holes where one would have been, but my truck is American built. Actually, I haven’t seen many pictures anywhere of trucks with the 2 legged long bracket type.

My salesman’s Truck Data Books for 1941 and 1942 are pretty ambiguous about standard equipment but show this mirror as optional. My 1946 Truck Data Book shows the long bracket mirror to be regular equipment on some but not all of the trucks. Those with it include the ¾ tons with cab and frame, platform body, and stake beds… and all of the large trucks (4, 5, and 6000 series) with a full cab. The book also shows this mirror as an option for the rest. The “pictures” of the above sizes of trucks in all 3 books show the long bracket mirror on the trucks.

So… how common or uncommon were these mirrors, and is there a place to get them?
Ole

Ole S Olson
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Try reaching out to Mr.Bob Adler. Bobadler@nycap.rr.com he has a surplus of Chevrolet truck parts. Good luck

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Ole,
There must have been lots of trucks delivered with those mirrors but I don't know what has happened to them. They don't show up very often. We have a '42 COE in our family. The previous owner modified those brackets and added to them to create a sort of west coast mirror arrangement.
I have purchased a couple of items related to these mirrors on eBay. It has been a while so I don't recall exactly what I have. There is chart, near group number 16.069, in my 1941 Master Parts Catalog, that shows the main bracket and indicating measurements that can be found in the corresponding text.
The brackets would not be hard to make. I can supply some templates.
FYI They are a potential "head knocker".

Mike

Last edited by 35Mike; 01/23/20 04:22 PM.

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Stovblt Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Thanks for the above.
I wonder where they went too. I also wonder why we don't see more trucks with those 2 holes along the top edge of the door?
I noticed mirror parts in my 1948 Master Parts as well. It even has an illustration of sorts showing some measurements in the parts list. I'm having a hard time figuring out which parts are actually used, but it looks like bracket #599309 and brace #599311 plus a mirror and grommets? The truck is a stake bed by the way.
Thanks for the offer Mike, I may take you up on templates later if I decide to fabricate something. I'll try to find close up photos of the inner and outer ends of the bracket and brace if I can.
My "farmer's eye" tells me these mirrors were probably poorly braced for the rough roads of the day, and probably should have had a 3rd leg somewhere anyway (like the west coast arrangement you speak of).
I think I will try Bob Adler as per DreamChevy above first.
I suppose the easiest would be to just plug the holes with blank grommets right? :-) Probably save getting clocked in the head as pointed out.

Ole S Olson
Stovblt Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Just want to thank Bob Adler for taking the time to see if he had mirrors.
Thanks again.
Ole

Ole S Olson

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.