Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#432583 10/14/19 06:12 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I recently rebuilt the Carter W1 carburator in my 48 Fleetmaster. This was done to correct a stalling issue when stopping for traffic. After rebuilding, the stalling issue went away and the car ran great for about 10 miles, then acted like it was running out of gas. I put about 2 gallons in the tank, and it ran for about 50 ft. It would always start up, but would not run under load. If it sits for awhile, it will run fine, but only for a few miles, then it falters. I’m going to get back into the carb tomorrow, is there anything I should focus on?. Fuel is in the tank and the fuel pump seems OK, and I’ll replace the aftermarket fuel filter just in case.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I would make sure the fuel pump is OK and the line is not plugged. If that checks out I would remove the bowl cover and see if the needle valve is sticking and the float is correctly adjusted.

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks, I’ll do that

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Sounds like possibly a stopped-up fuel filter.

Or, not sure when GM started putting the "sock" filter in the tank on the fuel pick-up, but have seen lots of these that became clogged, and gave the symptom you describe.

Would be interesting to know what happened if you could try a portable fuel tank (think marine outboard tank), connected to the fuel pump, thereby bypassing the main tank.

Jon.

Good carburetion is fuelish hot air

Owner, The Carburetor Shop (in Missouri)
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Sock in tank began in 1955.

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I removed the fuel filter, cut it open and found a great deal of rust. I will drop the tank for cleaning, and blow air through all the lines, as well as replacing the fuel filter and inspecting/cleaning or replacing the fuel pump. Some mechanics have also stated the condenser mounted to the coil may be getting hot? Don't know about that...

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The cndenser mounted on the coil is for radio interference and as noting to do the the running of the engine. It came with the radio and installed by the dealer when the car was new and radio was installed. A condenser on the generator and voltage regulator was also installed. If a radio was never installed no condensers would even be present. Younger mechanics would know nothing about this.

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.