Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I have a similar glass bowl filter. I'll go down to the garage in a bit and start her up and take a picture.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Mine is pretty full

Attached Images
AC2E2CA8-905F-42C6-858A-CF2AC6B55CD7.jpeg
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Scott! I talked to Jon, the guy that runs the Carburetor shop in Missouri, and he said I have to have faith that the filter will still flow, even though I can see a little "line" at the top. I also found out my carb is a Rochester, and is in horrible shape. I ordered a rebuilt 1938 Carter W-1 from Jon and look forward to pulling the Rochester out and replacing it! Here is his URL: http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/. I was amazed at Jon's knowledge of carburetors! Jon said his carbs are rebuilt to withstand the ethanol that is in gasoline today. I am glad because about the only place I can find non-ethanol gas is at a marina on the Red River, several miles out of town. Thanks again everyone

Mark Owen
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Markowen

Check Circle K in front of Home Depot on outer loop. They have non-ethanol gas.

Mike
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I expect that there will always be a small air gap at the top of the outside of the glass bowl in this type filter

The fuel flows into the assembly through a hole in the outer edge of the metal cap and then down the outside of the filter. It then flows through the filter and out to the carburetor from the center of the filter. The hole out of the assembly is in the center of the metal housing.

If you look at the small pocket of air in Scott's picture you see that the fuel level is all the way to the top of the medium in the filer element. It stops about where the end metal cap on the filter media starts. Fuel cannot flow through the metal end cap. So that air is basically "trapped" there with no negative consequences.

Over time and driving some of the air might disappear due to the fuel moving side-to-side or front-to-back as the car starts and stops, turns, and is driven on hills.

I have an inline cylindrical filter near the fuel tank outlet on my car. There is always an air bubble on the top side because that air is above the outlet hole.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Rusty, that's the best explanation I have seen. Thanks so much. And Mike, thanks for the tip about non-ethanol gas in our neck of the woods! I am anxiously awaiting the Carter carburetor to come in ... then once I fix one of the emergency brake cables, get the rear tailights to work, and install the carburetor I will be driving down the road! Thanks everyone

Mark Owen
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.