Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
pitman Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I wish to "GREASE" the front wheels on my 29 4 Dr. I have an Alemite gun to do so with---The en chevy d of the gun says to use light grease. I know it takes OIL--Not grease---.

The service manual calls for 160 W oil. What would you suggest I use--and where do I go to purchase it?

Thanks,

Pitman

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Pitman, I don't quite know what you mean by "greasing the front wheels" with an Alimite gun. The kingpins, have Alimite fittings and you can use a modern chassis grease.

I use modern multipurpose 85 wt-140wt gear grease for where the lub chart for my 28 says use 160wt oil .

Some "Antique car" vendors sell 160wt. oil for around $7.00 a Qt. I have bought a Qt. and it appears to be nothing more that 120wt multipurpose gear grease.

I would think to grease the front wheels would require that you clean and repack the wheel bearings with wheel bearing grease.

I have found that Alimite fittings are more for show that practial for greaseing, I pull them out and replace them with Zerk fittings, save the Alimite fittings, You can clean them up and when showing the car use them to replace the modern Zerks,....... just for show.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.