Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Bahpi Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi, I hope nobody minds me asking this here but I am pretty new to cars and the like and I was reading a book the other day and got to thinking. Maybe this is a silly question but when it comes to a straight 6 and a V6 engine, what's the major difference apart from the layout? What are the pros and cons of each.

I hope this wasn't out of place and I appriciate any answers that you might lay down on the table :)

Thanks for helping a novice!

~James

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
bahpi,

I think the major consideration given by engineers whether to equip a vehicle with a straight vs. vee is the physical dimensions of each...

modern vehicles with their more efficient chassis & body size would utilize a vee to conserve space...ever see how long a straight twelve engine is?..you'd need a lot of hood to cover it...

ok epi

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Don't straight 6's put less friction and strain on the main shaft, cams, and gear than V-6's? I seem to recall mentions (or maybe it's urban legend) in past times that this is why those old slant 6 Dodge Darts and straight 6 Novas alway ran and ran and ran far beyond thier expected life cycles.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
That was a good Article, Thanks

32 Confederate
Bruce S. DeFord
VCCA Judging Committee Chair

The Great American Value for 1932
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/
Bahpi Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for the info and the article guys! It helped me see the light :) I was just wondering though reading the article how exactly the I-6 (getting with the lingo here cool ) produces so much power to make it perform as well as an 8 cylinder machine? (Remember I am new at this lol I'll try to read up as much as I can on torque etc too).

I can see a lot of the basics such as the firing order and stability of the engine adding to efficienty and balence, but the whole power issue is still a bit fuzzy :confused: I don't want to be a bother but I really appriciate the help (And believe me if I manage to get working on cars and such in the next few weeks I may be bugging you all a lot. sorry boss

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello Bahpi: hey dont worry about the little stuff, if you dont ask, you wont learn! as i have said ,this is fun, and enjoy all you learn. So that someday, others might ask you, and you in turn can share your info!
and other's like myself may not have all the answer's you need, but you can bet on one thing, and that is, if you ask here on vcca you will find and learn anything! and then some. this is a great site with the most wonderful and helpful folk's.
that is my 10 cent's, my two cent is free :arrow: :arrow: :cool2:

N J HORST
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Bahpi, a little off topic, but I've been following your posts concerning getting into the antique car hobby. IMO, I would suggest that you go very slowly and learn some of the basics of the old car hobby before you "jump" into buying a car. As a young lad (Oh, no, not the 'Young Lad' speech!!), I went to look at a car which was up for sale, that was absolutely beyond my expertise to restore or maintain at that point in my life. The seller talked me out of buying it and I've been grateful ever since. If I had purchased that car, I probably would have become overwhelmed and disenchanted with the hobby and might have left the hobby alone completely. My suggestion would be to join the VCCA and a local Region before you do anything. Go to the meetings, make new friends. Volunteer to help these new friends in working on their cars in any capacity you can. Listen and learn about cars. Go to car shows and decide what era car would be esthetically and economically right for you and your family. Know your limitations before you buy your first car and try to make sure it won't create a financial burden. Most important of all, make sure your wife will be supportive and willingly wants to join in the fun.
Then, go for it!!

chevy -Bob

-BowTie Bob
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Bahpi,Bowtie Bob is perfectly correct,I made ever!!one of those mistakes and if I had only had been a part of the VCCA before those misfortunes they would have certainly been avoided,chef- chevy (48 fleetline)

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Right on! Chef!....and Bowtie Bob!.... and N.J.! I just luv them old Hot Water Sixes to death!....and now them Roaring Fours! That is not to say I don't love them stovebolt SBC's and them BBCs with the funny looking valve covers!.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
Bahpi Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
thanks a lot guys for all the support, I think if I ever get a spare $35 I'm going to join! (The wife is very supportive, she wants to read all the books I am getting about engines etc). And, while I regret admitting that I should wait to get a classic, I should wait to get a classic :rolleyes:

It's kinda hard though, I live with my wife, son and my wifes mom and grandmother and sometimes it gets a little tense you know? And not being able to work over here or even learn to drive in SC it's nail bitingly boring. We're supposed to be moving soon, so I hope the state we move to allows me to drive.

And when you're scanning the classified in your local paper and there is an old 53 chevy for sale (The one I saw down the road I thought was sold) is veeeeeerrrry hard :confused: Sorry this was just my little vent. I had a little bit of a tough day. My Dad is visiting from the UK so the family is on high alert and tense, and all I want to do is spend time with Pops (And convieniently go to the classic car show in Charlotte, NC. chevy )

I'm so tired right now (My son is teething and getting about eight teeth at once!), I am going to rest a bit then maybe try to retry typing some kind of understandable post in a little while :o Thanks again!

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Bahpi, Your story is not too much different than other young people all over the nation, We hope you realize your dream soon. Some of us worked many years bouyed up by our dreams and hope, just knowing we were free and able to pursue our dreams and our religion without any governmental interferance is indeed a blessing....Hang in there!
chevy

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.