Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi All, this is my first post. I have been following the club and appreciate the knowledge I have gained.

I have a 35 Master Coupe with original 207 and trans. The trans has proven to be a bit unusual as it is a T83-1T on the case and T83-148D on the shift plate. In rebuilding, it needed a main drive gear normally for a Ford (4 gears on shaft instead of 3). We replaced bearings and the u-joint. Also replaced the drive shaft bearing in the torque tube.

Car drives fine in 1st and 2nd, but when I let off gas in 3rd, there is a vibration, roaring sound. Depending on the speed, it is intermittent, but always when decelerating. I plan to inspect the u-joint this weekend, but hoping you could advise on all the things to check that could be causing the sound and vibration.

thanks guys... just one of the 35 reasons that are driving me crazy!

John Myatt
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
common cause coud be loose drive shaft bushings or U joint. If not those the rear pinion bearing in the differential can cause this.

Yes, a number of 1935 and a few 1936 Masters used a Warner gear box, same as Ford used. This was due to a strke at the GM plant.

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Gene, thanks for the feedback! Did not know about the GM strike, but good to know. Figured it was lack of supply due to the Depression, which I guess is why they went on strike?

The trans seems to share Ford and Chevrolet components making finding the right parts a challenge. The only Ford part seems to be the main drive gear although we did not replace the other gears as they were in good shape. The trans is rebuilt now and I just put in a NORS U-joint. It felt like it had a bind in it before installing. We reversed the bushings (cup side out) and it seemed to eliminate the binding when turning by hand. Wonder if that could be the issue?

I will check it out and let you know. Are there any telltale signs to help diagnose other than obvious wear?

John Myatt
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Note that the trunion bearings in theUjoint are beveled on one side and the bevel goes torwards the center,

Last edited by Chev Nut; 03/22/19 10:18 PM.

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Gene, after inspecting the u-joint, there is definitely wear indicating this may be the issue causing the vibration. I had installed a new u-joint and there are now abrasions on the bearing shafts. We had installed the trunion bearings with the bevel side "away" from the center.... opposite of what it should be. We did this because the new u-joint seemed to have a bind in it when turning by hand before installing in the car. When we put the trunion bearings the opposite way, it seemed to eliminate the binding.

Could having the trunion bearings backwards (bevel away from the center) have caused the vibration and accompanying wear?

thanks!

John Myatt
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I would suspect it did because it allowed the yoke to more or less flop around
I have never heard of a person do this so I am not sure but there must be a reason..

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have another u-joint ordered... will install the proper way with trunion bevels inwards. Thank you for your insight, Gene!

John Myatt

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.