Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Lenn Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Please pardon me for the rookie question:

I'm removing parts from my '37 1/2 ton chassis this weekend. Of course, many areas are rusted so I want to use a penetrating oil (Gunk Liquid Wrench). I plan to prep and paint all of the parts this winter.

What I'm concerned about is contaminating the metal with silicone or some other "fish-eye" creating material. I know that silicone is banned from electronic fabrication and aerospace production facilties because once you've contaminated work with silicone, you'll never get it clean. The Gunk can does not mention silicone, but I wonder if I'm asking for trouble?

Lenn
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I rely on good old Liquid Wrench in the yellow can or spray can, have been using it since 1950 and think it does a good job. I understand that there may be newer brews out there but this one has always done the job for me. talk talk

Lenn Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks glyn.

I wound up using it a little anyway today. I also used the trick JYD mentioned regarding heating the nut until it glows. I only have a propane torch, but it still works for the 5/16'th bolts I encountered today. As a teenager I painted the subframe on a '69 Camaro with black Emron. It looked real nice until I took it to a "wand" car wash. The Emron came off in large sheets... oh well! I wanted to avoid that experience because this truck will have much more work in it than that Camaro did.

Lenn

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.