Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Being old I can remember way back when there was no 12v. All we had was 6v and the common sense (no offense meant here) to maintain the electrical system with a little TLC now and then. Also when one purchased new battery cables they were 6v and not 12v. My dad could always get the 34 chev started even at extreme below 0 temperatures. The biggest problem was frequent starts and town driving when lights were required. I lived with a starting problem with the 52 for about a year, finally decided to replace the + cable it appeared large enough to be a 6 volt cable but when I cut into it I found a 12v sized cable wrapped in a lot of plastic. Could not believe the difference when I replaced it with an 01 gauge cable and a proper ground.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Lot's of very good advice here. It really is amazing how we try to find the "hidden" solution that only car guys would know about and overlook the most basic, simple solutions. Bill and I have talked this over a couple of times in recent months.

No offense intended because I speak from a wealth of personal experience on this matter. "It couldn't be the basics" I think, because I would never let the basics get overlooked. Of course, I am usually wrong on that point.

I could be wrong, but I believe I am in good company in this particular matter.

Jim
Apache Hauler
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Just note though that in Freds original post he said "it gets harder to start after its warmed up".....That could be taken two ways.Harder to start -turns over many times before starting.....or turns over slower when warm.With out knowing which problem he had it could have been battery/starter area or ignition/fuel area.

Gene Schneider
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
I don't mean to hijaack the thread, but a 4-coil starter was mentioned and I have a few questions...

A 1954 2 coil housing has 'room' for 2 additional coils, but it appears that the + bolt would keep you from adding one of the coils. Anyone know is the housings ARE different?

If a 2-coil can't be made into a 4-coil, where can I find a 4-coil starter? I've seen one on eBay but that was quit a while ago.

Thanks!

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
As you have discovered, it is not a matter of modifying a normal starter to 4 coils. You must locate one that has the 4 coils, and then be ready to pay a premium price for it.

Agrin

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I believe if I remember correctly that the starter # is 1929912 but the # on the plate is 1108035, this one has 4 fields. The field #'s are upper 826282 and lower is 826281 50 to 54 Powerglide. I bought one on e-bay a few years ago, maybe the one you saw, they are very hard to find. I believe the end plate and housings are different and can't be interchanged but not sure. I looked a long time before I found one. Good luck on your search! Ross 50chev

ROSS
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.