Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello

I had an engine put in my 1947 Fleetmaster Chevy and when I got the car back it would not go into 2nd and 3rd gear. “3 on the tree” I had problems when I bought the car meaning I had to really put a of force in shifting gears, but it shifted. I lubed all the linkage but noting. Since the new engine I can not get it in 2nd and 3rd.

The shop that put the engine in literally closed down.

I was recently trying to remove the steering column from the car and I could not figure out how to do that. I removed the linkage and U-bolt. However it would not come out? It loosed really good but will not pop out of the gear box?
Can anyone guide me how to take th colmu off?

Any thoughts

Any help would be appreciated

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
To help you more with the disassembly of the steering column from the car, you might want to purchase a 1947 Chevrolet shop manual. You can get one in reprint from the Filling Station in Lebanon, Oregon. www.fillingstation.com

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
There is a copy of the relevant section of the shop manual at

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1942_47/4247csm901.htm

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
As to the shifting part:

Does it still have the vacuum shift in stalled?

If so, vacuum cylinder piston activator may be out of adjustment. That's what the problem sounds like to me .

Coft40's and FS have the tool for adjusting this part. You can adjustment it without the tool by taking you time and vacuum on the line and turning the adjuster one 180 degree at the time until the piston shaft goes in and out very slowley if you move the adjuster the small increment in and out slightly within its cage. Very sensitive adjustment and tool is well worth the minor cost. dance

Good luck with it.

Charlie computer

Last edited by 41specialdeluxe; 11/25/18 10:30 PM.
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi Charlie,

Thank you for the advice. I would like to buy the tool. Do you know where I could purchase the tool at and the extract of the tool?

In terms of the manual I will buy that manual today. Do you happen to know if it is possible to remove the column jacket? I want to get that painted however I just can’t get it loose? It looks like the linkage housing near the fire wall dose appear to come loose alone with the column that connect to the gear box.

Thank you

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello Charlie,

Not sure if a vacuum shifter is installed. I looked up the part and it looks like it wouldn’t be installed outnsode tge transmission. I am going to slide under the tonight to see if one is there.

Thank you

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hey Pete32

Thanks for the help. Do you happen to know if the streering jacket can be removed from the 47? I can’t fine much on line. I am trying to get the column painted and am having no luck removing it.

Thanks

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Yes, the mast jacket can be removed. The link above to the steering section in the manual shows the mast jacket removed.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
click me

Remove steering wheel. Remove bushing with wire that runs down the mast to the horn relay ( wire comes out a hole on the bottom of the mast close to the horn relay). Loosen clamp under dash. Loosen clamp at steering gear. Pull out..

You will have to get under the dash and make sure nothing else is attached to the column. I seem to remember their is but can't recall what.

Last edited by ruscar; 11/27/18 11:53 AM.

Russell #38868
'48 4 door Fleetline
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello Junkyard Dog, Thanks for your help. I will review the page in detail. Thanks for your help..

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hey Ruscar,

The 407 fleermasters is three on the tree and there is a place that connect near the firewall with your linkage extends to the transmission that I cannot figure out how to remove. As well as I loosen the u clap bolt Near the gearbox and I pulled on the jacket however the jacket will not come free. I feel like it is still being penned by something and the gearbox.

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Also this is three on the tree and there is a plate up putting the firewall which keeps the linkage together with a small spring in the center. For whatever reason I cannot figure out how to remove that

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Yes, forgot about that clamp. Just remove the two nuts and washers that are on top and tap down the "U" clamp around the mast. Don't mess with the linkage. Take a picture of that section so you can put it back the same. Also the clamp screw close to the steering wheel that fastens the shift column to the top of the mast.

Last edited by ruscar; 11/27/18 10:15 PM.

Russell #38868
'48 4 door Fleetline

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.