Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Greaser Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I could not find liners that would fit my 1931 brakes. But I did find liners that were the right size but holes were not right.
1.) So I took the rivet and matched up a drill bit one size larger than the head of the rivet and put it in my drill and ground down the diameter to that of the rivet 1/2 inch from the end. IMPORTANT TO GRIND THIS TO A SQUARE GRIND. This made the end of the drill the size of the rivet 1/2 INCH and the main shank the diameter of the head of the rivet. You also have to reslope the flute back edges so it will cut ( not to much ).
2.) Now drill from the bottom of the brake shoe through the exsisting holes into the liner.
3.) Turn over the brake shoe and liner and drill the resess hole for the rivet head in the liner WITH THE MAIN PART OF THE DRILL.
4.) Install and brad this rivet then repeat proceedure until all the holes are drilled and riveted.
ANY QUESTIONS EMAIL ME AT: amrinejt@alltel.net

Greaser
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Greaser,
thanks for the info. Sounds like it works great!

Doug
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
The correct woven mechanical brake linings are available at your local commercial brake and clutch supply. It comes in a roll, and they will cut it to the correct length and also rivet it on your shoes for you. This woven friction material is still used today on heavy equipment, various machines and etc. The thickness of the material varies depending upon its application, so be sure to ask for 3/16" thick. laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.