Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I have removed the carb from my 1928 Chevrolet truck and have sent it off to the Carb Dr. for rebuild. He is asking if I have the air cleaner on the exhaust manifold with the flex tube to the carb. I do and he says not a good idea to heat the carb with todays gasoline. Anyway to choke off the heat but still keep the original look?

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
If you had a "V" type engine (V-6, V-8) I would agree.

With an inline engine, carburetor heat is generally a good thing, even with modern fuel; UNLESS you live in a very hot climate. Possible to get carburetor icing, even at 50 degrees ambient, in a very humid climate with an inline.

I would suggest leave it stock until you see if you have issues.

Jon.

Good carburetion is fuelish hot air

Owner, The Carburetor Shop (in Missouri)
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I agree with Jon.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
iagree

I agree 100% with Jon. I have driven '28 Chevrolets over 10,000 miles mostly in HOT weather. The efficiency of those carburetors is enhanced with hot air except for extremely high ambient temperatures.

My suggestion is to watch the Carb Dr. very carefully. I have had to correct a few of his carburetor rebuilds. One a couple of weeks ago.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for info, I will leave it alone for now. Just to clarify. Old Carb Dr. He has rebuild many for me over the years without a problem. j

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
If conditions are right, my '28 carburetor will ice over if the heat tube isn't attached.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.