Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
So..i dropped the tank and its actually pretty clean. This is the debris from when i dumped [Linked Image from i1000.photobucket.com]

I think the source of the gunk in the fuelpump is the sender. The outer insulation was also flaking off the wire [Linked Image from i1000.photobucket.com]
The filler neck is also rusted some, but not flaking like the sender
Should i be worried about the gunk from the sender, or should i just put a filter just after the tank to address that (and keep it out of the pump)

Last edited by ScottCrawford; 07/18/18 10:07 PM.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Seeing the sender I am surprised it still works. Now that you have it out I would seriously think about replacing it as it will only continue creating more gunk to block things up, I dont think they are overly expensive.
It also might be good insurance to put a filter in as well as not all of the gunk will come out of the tank via a drain.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
An update...I put a new sender in (was on vacation for a few weeks). Got the tank back on and filled with about 3 gallons of new gas. I'm struggling with prime on my fuel pump. Slightly concerned that I left the fuel pump dry for too long and the diaphragm was damaged.
I spent a while trying to get it started tonight (manually filled the fuel filter bowl - and it never emptied)....starter fluid (to try to get the pump moving faster). I got the fuel pump bowl about 3/4 full but it never would run on it's own.
Am I missing something?

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I would dump about 2 Oz. of gas in the carb. throat and then try it. Should start and run for a few seconds at least.

Perhaps you flooded it, are the plugs wet.

If all else fails check and see if thhere is spark.

I don't believe it would have harmed the fuel pump..

Last edited by Chev Nut; 08/13/18 10:40 PM.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
If you still have the original Carter 1941 carb (W-1 483s) it has a brass tube sticking up into the air flow at roughly a 45 degree angle.

Empty a ketchup or mustard squeeze bottle, wash it out, fill it with fresh fuel, and fill the carburetor bowl through the bowl vent. Start the engine. Should run for maybe 10 ~15 seconds, long enough for the fuel pump to prime.

Jon.

Good carburetion is fuelish hot air

Owner, The Carburetor Shop (in Missouri)
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
You might want to check for blockage (or maybe a partial blockage) in the line from the tank to the fuel pump. All of the good work you did to figure things out might have knocked a few smaller pieces of crud loose and they got into that line. Or those particles got into the fuel pump and are lodged in one of the check valves.

I know that some people will advise against this step but it works well for me. I installed a fuel filter in the line near the tank outlet on my '37. I am glad I did now that I see how much it captures before the gas gets to the fuel pump..

I typically use a Fram G2 universal 5/16" filter. The kit includes the filter, 2 short pieces of 5/16" hose and 4 spring clamps. They seem to be hard to get right now so yesterday I bought the comparable Wix 33002 but it is only the filter.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.