Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#402083 01/21/18 11:39 PM
SteveEC Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi all,

I pulled the front hubs to take a look at the brakes (no puller yet to get into the rear) and found the shoes are down to the rivets in some areas. The leading and trailing edges of the larger shoe showed less wear than the mid portion. I assume wear to the rivets indicates need for replacement, but is the uneven wear common?

Second question, when pulling the bearing covers (not sure that’s the correct term) to get at the castle nut, these were packed with grease. To me his seemed odd, since the grease is on the opposite side of the nut and retaining washer from the bearings, but maybe there is a reason?

Last, while up on the jacks, I noticed the left rear axle can be slid in and out about 1/8 inch. There is no similar play in the right rear. What are the potential culprits?

Thanks!
Steve

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The brake shoes may not exactly fit the drums. That will result in uneven wear on the linings. The wear pattern seen is common.

Many people feel that packing extra grease near the bearing will provide more lubrication to the bearing. It is a waste of grease and effort.

The rear axle bearings are retained on the axle by a "nut" or retainer. It threads onto the axle to keep the bearing against a stop. It is held in place by by a metal ring with locking tabs. The axle bearing is held in place in the housing with a plate that also holds the outer seal. If either "retainer" is loose the axle will move. If the bearing is worn it will also allow some movement.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
SteveEC Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Chipper!

That gives me some areas to look when I pull the rear drums. Any wear down to the rivets is an indicator that the shoes are due to be replaced, correct? I don't have much experience with riveted shoes, vs bonded.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.