Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
morgan Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I just replaced all 4 wheel cylinders and the two front rubber brake lines and flushed the fluid. The shoes looked good, and the drums were fine too.

I have been trying to adjust the brake preload at each wheel, but it is still very uneven. One of the wheels ends up braking too hard and locks up while the other 3 are still just rolling to a stop. Any advice on setting this manual preload?

Thanks

Jon Morgan, SC, USA
'58 Del Ray 2 dr, post, seamist ("Green 41" in grease pencil writing still on firewall), 99,500miles, 235 6cyl, 3speed column shift, no power nuthin'. No seatbelts, no oil filter.
Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Morgan

Ihad a similar problem with my '41. I replaced everything except the master cylinder. Everytime I would try the brakes the right front wheel would lock up. I worked on the right front wheel several times. Replaced the hose and the wheel cylinder. Adjusted and adjusted again and again.

You guessed it. It ws the master cylinder. On my '41 there are two holes inside the master cylinder. These are fairly small holes. One lets the fluid out of the resivoir and the other lets it back in. The hole that releases the fluid was rusted shut. I rebuilt the master cylinder, drilled out the hole and everything worked just fine.

JIM chevy

1941 Chevrolet Special Deluxe
5 pass. Coupe
On cover of Feb. 2002 G & D
www.rdgsons.com/n2.jpg
morgan Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
That could be my problem. The outside of my master cylinder is coated in light rust. That could be an indication about the inside of it as well. Did you just buy a rebuld kit and use the original Master cylinder body?

Jon Morgan, SC, USA
'58 Del Ray 2 dr, post, seamist ("Green 41" in grease pencil writing still on firewall), 99,500miles, 235 6cyl, 3speed column shift, no power nuthin'. No seatbelts, no oil filter.
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Everything I do is original. I rebuilt my old master cylinder. It sure worked for me.

JIM

1941 Chevrolet Special Deluxe
5 pass. Coupe
On cover of Feb. 2002 G & D
www.rdgsons.com/n2.jpg

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.