Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I'm putting new tires on my 29. I noticed that grandpa had placed a Hercules tool c on the wall in the old barn and somehow felt that it was for the 29 as none of the other cars he had were outfitted with the split rims. Is there anyone out there who has used this tool or other tools to collapse and expand these wheels and if so could I get your feedback and guidance in using such tools?

Don't let a day go by that you don't attempt to learn something new.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I have never done this myself, but several others have. Chistech (Ted) certainly has at least on my 1929 :)

I have 2 Instruction from Manufactures and 2 articles/ directions that i have collected i can pass along on HOW to do it. I scanned them in and posted them below for anyone interested.

Hercules Rim Tool

Universal Rim Tool

Franklin Service Station pg1
Franklin Service Station pg2

The Forgotten Chevy Article pg1
The Forgotten Chevy Article pg2

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Terry,
I recently did this myself with a Hercules C, mounted 4 tires. I wouldn't say it's the absolute easiest thing I've ever done, but it wasn't the hardest either.
Watching the youtube video you will get the idea of what's going on, that's really the only direction I had. There is a video of a guy mounting a tire to a split rim for a model A, I thought that was the most helpful one. He wasn't using the 3 pronged tool, he used something else to pull the rim in, but I thought his video was better and explained more.
Be sure and use the powder liberally, it will make things move around easier.
With the tool, put the 2 prong end opposite the split in the rim, be sure not to crank it down too far, but get it down enough to where it collapses some. Then use a pry bar to help get the tire over the rim. If you are able to slide the tire on the rim without the use of pry bar you are probably pulling it in too far. I've heard of people having to trash their rims because they collapsed it too much.
Just take your time and you should be fine. My son and I did ours and an additional helper makes it easier. Good luck.

Last edited by jtroberts64; 12/19/17 09:05 AM.

Jeff

1925 Superior K 4 Dr Sedan
1966 C10
2003 Silverado 1500 HD
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
There is a really good article on this subject in the Members Only/Vehicle Technical Info web page: 28Tirechangeinfo.pdf.

It was scanned from a G&D article many years ago.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Guys,
I have an extra split rim with the clamp/lock missing. I was thinking of welding the rim closed and fitting it on the disc with the Jaxon clamps.
Any comments.

Regards,
Chris
Cape Town
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Chris, I think it would be near impossible to get a tire on and off a rim that was welded in the open/clamped position.

My suggestion would be salvage a clamp off a rim that was rusted or broken (unusable) and put the clamp on your good rim.

Maybe someone in the club has one of these relics laying in the ground in the back yard and can cut off the section with the clamp and mail it to you.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
The rims need to be collapsed to get the tire on. They are not drop center.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
TKS Gents,
Much appreciated. I didnt think of the drop centres.
Complements of the season.

Regards,
Chris
Cape Town
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for all the replys. I did further research and found the above mentioned articles. I have placed the tool on the rim and used it. That is a fantastic tool for this purpose! Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all.

Don't let a day go by that you don't attempt to learn something new.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.